ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How can I view the time stamp of a clip, not the whole composition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dane SingletonHow can I view the time stamp of a clip, not the whole composition?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 2:58:14 pm

I am trying to bleep out some swear words in a composition.
I have the times all written down for each clip that was added to the composition, but I have no way of telling where in time the marker is at in a specific clip

so my composition is 30 min long, mad up of 5 clips

I want to go to minute 2 of clip 3. Where can I see the time info on a specific clip?

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: How can I view the time stamp of a clip, not the whole composition?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 3:47:33 pm

when you say clip - you mean precomp, correct? each composition contains a timecode at the left corner of the timeline. if you need the time inside a precomp, click twice on the precomp to open it. if you need to go to a specific type you can click view->go to time (Alt+Shift+J) and type the timecode.

Return to posts index

Dane SingletonRe: How can I view the time stamp of a clip, not the whole composition?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 4:17:19 pm

There is no way just to have a timestamp somewhere that can tell me? I have to click on the precomp, go to the time I have written down, place a marker, then go back to the composition, move the workspace over to the general area, then do a ram priview to narrow it down to the perfect spot.

That seems like a lot of work just to find a specific time in a precomp. Isn't there just a place I can see where I am in the precomp without having to do all that extra work?

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: How can I view the time stamp of a clip, not the whole composition?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 4:32:45 pm

[Dane Singleton] "There is no way just to have a timestamp somewhere that can tell me?"

you have the timecode right there in the top left of the timeline panel

Return to posts index

Dane SingletonRe: How can I view the time stamp of a clip, not the whole composition?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:46:25 pm

Again that is the timestamp for the entire composition, I just want the time in the single clip .
See how I have a ~10 min clip. I want to see at what point in time the cursor is at in that one clip, not the entire project.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 7, 2016 at 6:02:19 pm

[Dane Singleton] "Again that is the timestamp for the entire composition, I just want the time in the single clip ." I see. like Dave suggested, Ae is not too strong at editing but I am not giving up on you.

1. click twice on the footage item, you will see the layer panel with just your timecode of the selected footage
2. click the go to time shortcut
3. be content?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How can I view the time stamp of a clip, not the whole composition?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 4:03:38 pm

After Effects is the wrong tool for the job. Your task will do far faster if you do it in a video editing application. Pick your favorite and use it.

If it means that you render only the video out of AE for import into the editor, so be it. Keep the frame rates absolutely consistent and there should be no problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How can I view the time stamp of a clip, not the whole composition?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:50:26 pm

The Timecode effect can read a source clip's timecode and render it into the composition. It's not super-easily navigable, but applying the effect and watching the viewer help you scrub to the right spot. Just remember to take it back off before render!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]