ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create 3D motion tracked "motion trail"?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martyn Howett
How to create 3D motion tracked "motion trail"?
on Sep 7, 2016 at 12:08:39 pm

I have seen many "motion trails" in "2D" but I want to create one in "3D".

A have aerial drone footage flying along a golf hole. This footage has been motion tracked. I now want to overlay an "effect" of a short, diminishing white trail behind an imaginary golf ball in flight (flying alongside/past the camera towards the hole).

We have been able to create the ball path with a "continuous" solid line, (see video on Vimeo link below):

https://vimeo.com/169231616/0a293a4b76

BUT the effect we REALLY want, is just a short, tapering/fading line behind the ball, (like a comet tail?) not a long solid line. A trail that also disappears into the ground when the ball lands.

Is there any one out there who can offer any solutions?

Many many thanks in advance.

Martyn

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: How to create 3D motion tracked "motion trail"?
on Sep 7, 2016 at 2:35:28 pm

How about using Trapcode Particular ? it will allow you 3D motion trail. also 3D stroke has cool tapering you can try that as well.

Return to posts index

Martyn Howett
on Sep 8, 2016 at 6:06:25 am

Hi Roei,
Are we missing something? My guy here tells me that with Trapcode Particular, he cannot control the effect on the Z-axis of the 3D motion-tracked environment. Does that make sense?

Martyn

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 8, 2016 at 7:42:01 am

[Martyn Howett] "My guy here tells me that with Trapcode Particular, he cannot control the effect on the Z-axis of the 3D motion-tracked environment. Does that make sense?"

Well, you should listen to your guy and if he is experienced in what he does, he should know what he is talking about. I am not in front of your current setup and not sure about all the details and I am not sure what he means by "cannot control the Z axis of 3D tracked environment" . particular has a position parameter that also exists in 3d space and that's being used for many vfx productions including feature films to make anything come out of anything also in 3D environements. if you tracked your scene, you should have a null or a track point that contains the 3d information. you can attach your particular emitter to that information in various ways and this will give you a very prestigious trail effect that's also in 3D.

you can also wait here for a while for others to contribute to this discussion, maybe we will both learn something new today.

Return to posts index

Martyn Howett
on Sep 12, 2016 at 5:01:33 am

Hi Roei,
Thanks so much for your input. Really appreciated. My guy here doesn't have a lot of experience in AE (and I have nearly zero!), He's feeling his way through it, learning along the way, but English isn't his first language. AE is one heck of a program!!!

We'll carry on digging deeper and learning more of what's possible.
Thanks again for those pointers Roei.

Cheers,

Martyn

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 12, 2016 at 6:22:23 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 12, 2016 at 6:23:06 am

You're Welcome :) you can watch this tutorial from Red Giant Vimeo Channel (it's their plugin):

Harry Frank demonstrates different ways to link particular to a 3d trail moving element. more specifically you use a light layer as your emitter in particular and this way you have a 3D native after effects layer as your source of particles. attach it to any of your track points, nulls and it will move accordingly. I would recommend you read the manual and watch this channel.

if you want an extensive course for particular, this is a bit old but very good and the essentials are the same:
https://www.lynda.com/Trapcode-tutorials/Trapcode-Particular-Essential-Trai...

there is a chapter 6 on integrating After Effects 3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]