ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Insert/subtract frames?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ocean ByrneInsert/subtract frames?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:08:42 pm
Last Edited By Ocean Byrne on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:10:57 pm

Is there and easy way in After Effects to goto a specific frame, and then add or subtract time there?

Flash has the very nice F5 feature, where if you have nothing selected, and click F5 it scoots everything after your time marker over 1 frame. Shift+F5 10 frames. F6 minus one frame. You can also select a set amount of frames on only certain layers, and adjust them with F5/F6. It makes it very easy to massage timing.

After Effects I find extremely difficult to edit timing, especially when I have lots of layers, some that span the whole length of the comp, with keyframe animation, while other layers just appear for little while. Currently I try to select all my short layers after my insert time, and Alt+PageDown them over, then select all my long layers Keyframes after my insert time and Alt+RightArrowKey them over, but it is often confusing and I tend to mess stuff up.

Is there a better way?

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Insert/subtract frames?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:29:27 pm

do you mean this from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keyboard-shortcuts-reference.ht...

Go forward 1 frame - Page Down or Ctrl+Right Arrow/Page Down or Command+Right Arrow

Go forward 10 frames -Shift+Page Down or Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow/Shift+Page Down or Command+Shift+Right Arrow

Go backward 1 frame - Page Up or Ctrl+Left Arrow/Page Up or Command+Left Arrow

Go backward 10 frames - Shift+Page Up or Ctrl+Shift+Left Arrow/Shift+Page Up or Command+Shift+Left Arrow

Go to layer In point - I

Go to layer Out point - O

Go to previous or next visible item in time ruler (keyframe, layer marker, work area beginning or end) - J or K

and use the Shift key as you move the CTI to snap to keyframes or layer edges

do you need anything more?

Return to posts index

Ocean ByrneRe: Insert/subtract frames?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:34:46 pm

Thanks, but no.

I have my animation, on all sorts of layers, and at 14 seconds I want to insert 2 more seconds.
So what used to happen at 15 seconds will now happen at 17 seconds...

Except what I really want is to be more flexible than that and easily play with the timing until it is just right.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:54:09 pm

how about Go To Time - Alt+Shift+J and type +2. to add 2 seconds?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:57:06 pm

if this is a Preview type of thing you need, you can preview your animation in Range: Play around current time and set preroll and posroll in seconds. maybe this is the flexibility you are looking for?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Insert/subtract frames?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:55:18 pm

[Ocean Byrne] "...at 14 seconds I want to insert 2 more seconds.
So what used to happen at 15 seconds will now happen at 17 seconds..."

Highlight the affected layers. Hit the u key to reveal the animated properties. Move the keyframes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:59:27 pm

in addition to what Dave said: Alt + Right/Left arrow moves your keyframes one frame. add the Shift and it's 10 frames. Alt + Pgdn/up moves the layer 1 frame. add shift and it's 10 frames. running out of ideas here :)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Insert/subtract frames?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 11:09:29 pm

[Ocean Byrne] "Is there a better way?"

No, there is not. Ae has no analogue to Flash's timeline. You are already doing it the best way, and it is a hard, manual process.

As a script developer, I have looked into automating this. Adding/subtracting time is a much trickier problem than it seems at first, because there are so many corner cases. What do you do with keyframes contained within the time range? What do you do with footage? What do you with precomps? What do you do with time remapping?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 11:19:25 pm

if there's a way to see exactly what you are referring to, I would love to see that. it's been more than a decade since I touched Flash.

Return to posts index

Ocean ByrneRe: Insert/subtract frames?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 3:22:45 am

Yeah, I get that it is tricky, and has a variety of potentials to be extra tricky - but Flash does a really good job of it.

99% of the time I am not asking to do anything weird, I just want to go to a frame, and push all actions (keyframes and layer start/ends) back by x frames. Even a dumb script that just did that would be super helpful...

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Insert/subtract frames?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:00:01 am

Even the simple case isn't so simple. Ae scripting cannot actually move a keyframe; it must read the old keyframe, delete it, and create a new one at the new time. This means that any keyframe that uses a custom data type (like Levels with its Histogram control) cannot be handled with scripting, because its data cannot be read or written.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]