ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotating one axis of planet

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich HoffmannRotating one axis of planet
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 6:12:58 pm

Newbie question. I'm trying to rotate the planet Saturn on a tilted axis. For some reason, I can't seem to figure out how to rotate just the one axis so the rings don't wobble. I've tried everything I can think of... any suggestions?
Many thanks!
Rich

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rotating one axis of planet
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 6:43:13 pm

Trial & error.

How did you construct the planet?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Rotating one axis of planet
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 7:36:26 pm

you are probably using the Wotate tool (W shortcut). if you click on one of the 3 axes as you Wotate, you will be constrained to that axis. if you are not seeing your axes you must show the layer controls (view->show layer controls). and you can always use the good old timeline and expand your rotation properties to see your X,Y,Z Rotations or Orientation and do this by scrubbing values instead.

Return to posts index

Rich HoffmannRe: Rotating one axis of planet
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:20:01 pm

Hello Roei,
Thanks for the response. I have been playing with this for quite some time. I actually can rotate just the y- axis- not sure if I am in wobble mode or not. It looks good when I spin it by selecting that axis, but when I set key frames, the whole planet wobbles around, and the other axes automatically change even though I just changed the y parameter. Is there a way to lock the other axes?
Thanks
Rich

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rotating one axis of planet
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:24:06 pm

If you have made the planet using the CC Sphere effect, it's a simple matter to rotate just the y axis. The rings can be made on a separate layer with the planet in the center.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:31:27 pm

Hello Dave,
I'm working from an .obj model- did not make it myself. I applied the textures in c4d, and the rotation. Had no issues with the other planets I rotated, but because Saturn has the rings, I wanted to tilt the axis to to see them. I can scrub the rotation by just selecting the y axis, but for some reason, the keyframes make the animation wobble. I haven't ever used CC Sphere, but not sure it is the right tool for this. Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:31:11 pm

instead of us taking clever guess as to what you are doing, please share a screenshot and show exactly what you are dealing with.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:34:16 pm

here you go- thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:54:56 pm

Oh dear. so we're in Cinema 4D! this is Ae forum LOL. can't help you with that buddy. over to you, Dave :)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2016 at 10:08:25 pm

sorry, gents. I'm low on sleep. Not sure how I posted in the wrong forum...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]