ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D camera tracking in a dark room

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pascal Reinhardt
3D camera tracking in a dark room
on Sep 5, 2016 at 7:33:23 pm

Hey!

I have a question where i don't know if i'm overseeing something really simple or if it just isn't that simple.
I wanna film a singer in a dark room, pretty much like this https://vimeo.com/18072467
And it's going to be a lyric video with real footage, so the singer is standing in the room, lip syncing and the words of the song seem to be "in the room" with him.
So if there are, say, 10 animated words "hanging" between the camera and the singer, and the camera moves closer to the singer, it moves through the words and they disappear behind the camera.
I hope you know what i'm trying to say here. Now to my problem:
How do i track a 3d space with the 3d cameratracker in After Effects if there aren't any reference points for the camera tracker because everything except the singer is black?
Should i add something in the background, like a piece of square paper or anything, so after effetc can track it right?

I was thinking if it would be easier to do in a green screen, but i'd rather shoot everything in camera because i don't want any additional troubles with keying.

Thanks for any tips!!

Best
Pascal

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: 3D camera tracking in a dark room
on Sep 6, 2016 at 1:09:23 pm

Assuming you haven't shot the footage yet....

Green screen means that you'd have to key out all of the background, something made more difficult in low lighting. Tracking shots can be much easier is you place some tracking markers. In this case, I would just use some luminous tape, or even some very low brightness lights behind the singer, and then track them. Mask them out in the final edit.

It sounds like you've already figured out the 3d text letters.

Jim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 6, 2016 at 2:44:21 pm

I'm with Jim -- make your tracking points an integral part of the set design. Low-level lights sound great. They're not obtrusive and you don't have to remove them.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 7, 2016 at 1:15:54 pm

thanks for your feedback!!

I pretty much decided to go with a black room instead of greenscreen. I think it's too risky to go with greenscreen and then have keying issues later, because i'm working on a very tight schedule with this one.

And i think i will use tape as a tracking point. I'm just wondering is after effects can track a good 3d movement if it just has to POINTS to refer to. I thought i would make two squares with tape, left and right behind the singer so than the tracker can get the 3d information from the form of the squares. I don't know if i'm getting something wrong but if you only have two points, or dots etc. than it might not notice if i move AND pan the camera, the distance between the points might stay the same but the distance to the camera varies.

I'll just give it a try and see what happens. And then i'm gonna need your help again;)

Thanks you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2016 at 3:58:27 pm

If at all possible, conduct a test first to give yourself the best chance of success.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:58:24 pm

Thanks guys. I just did a test shooting and it was kind of sobering. i had two neon tape squares left and right of the singer that were clearly visible. When i tracked the footage in after effects the camera tracker completely ignored the squares and just tracked the movement of the singer. And got everything totally wrong. i don't know if i should use bigger objects as tracking targets or if it's just an adjustment thing in after effects. But as for now it doesn't work at all to track it..

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 7, 2016 at 11:56:14 pm

I have a picture from my test footage right here. I had to blurry the singer but the important things are the tracking points in the back.

I did some more research and kind of get the feeling that after effects isn't able to track this properly. I just keep reading that for a proper 3d tracking a new mocha version or even boujou is needed?!

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 7, 2016 at 11:57:53 pm

sorry to post again, but i don't know if you can really see it in the picture. The black screen is hung in a corner, so right behinder the singer is the corner of the room. that is why the squares are distorted this way.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Sep 8, 2016 at 12:05:55 am

Hi Pascalle, I'd suggest a couple of things - use as many markers as you can at different depths (you'll need foreground, mid range and background) so that the tracker has 3D depth information - then mask out your singer before tracking. It only needs to be a rough garbage matte around the performer, leaving only the tracking markers visible.

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 8, 2016 at 9:57:31 am

Thanks a lot Greg! I found this video that pretty much explains what you just said. And i never knew that random key markers work the best. I thought this one was pretty helpful!
I'll see how the result are gonna be. But it's gonna take a while longer to do the pre production now;)

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 8, 2016 at 9:58:27 am

sorry....here's the link

am i too stupid or can't you edit your own posts?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 8, 2016 at 12:42:31 pm

Yes you can edit your own posts - no you are not stupid, the edit option is available only if you access your post from your profile page/Activity, at least that is how I get to see it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:21:24 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:56:49 pm

Geez Ted! thanks for that, I was not aware of that. let me return a courtesy - there is an even shorter route. you can reply your own or any other message, and you will enter a slight different "readpost" thread. here you will be able to see the edit button underneath your original message :)

now all we need is a way to copy paste images right in the window and we are almost a 20th century message board :)

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Sep 8, 2016 at 1:57:57 pm

It looks like you are successfully working through your tracking concerns and learning that it is important to test PRIOR to actual production. This eliminates the "fix it in post" thinking that can drive up costs and efforts if you don't test.

Some other thoughts: When AE tracker wants to track the wrong object, you can usually mask out that object, track, then delete the mask for the final render.

You can, of course, shoot in brighter lighting and then make the "darkened room" look in post. This would also simplify some of the tracking concerns. Or, as Dave suggested, make your tracking points part of the set. Maybe your set could be partially virtual in the sense that it is hard to know what was a practical and what was created in post.

Best of luck on this project.

Jim

Return to posts index

Mike Sevigny
on Sep 9, 2016 at 12:49:57 pm

We've successfully shot some stuff in a very dark space with a handheld camera using 'throwies'. They're cheap and can be painted out relatively easily (over black). Might be useful for some of your setups.
http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Throwies/
Keep in mind that the light can bleed (slightly) into the edge of your subject if they cross in front of them. This can usually be handled in post but if it happens dozens of times throughout the video you might be kicking yourself.

Good luck,
Mike Sevigny

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 9, 2016 at 3:01:13 pm

thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yes, i'd rather spend two weeks fixing everything in pre production and testing instead of trying to fix it in post. Because i think the chances of it looking cheap are pretty high;)

I'm now trying to put alot of markers with neon green tape on the black backdrop, and use mic stands with pink tape on it next to the singer so that the tracker has a lot of points in 3d space. And of course i will test it first and make sure it works.

Just one more question about the 3d tracker in after effects. Can i give it information about the distance between tracking points? because i thought of haveng a few points in a grid with a fixed 1 meter distance and have random markers in between. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Sevigny
on Sep 9, 2016 at 3:29:48 pm

Although AE's 3D Tracker is very powerful, it has very few settings. I wouldn't count on it for something like this, you'll need an actual Matchmoving package like PFTrack, Boujou, Syntheyes or 3D Equalizer. Any of these will let you identify the distance between markers among other things.

Mike Sevigny

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 9, 2016 at 3:36:20 pm

Ok so i don't have to have exact distances if i can't tell it to after effects anyway?
I only have after effects and Mocha and not quite the budget to buy something like Boujou;) Even though i'd love to!

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 11, 2016 at 5:39:54 pm

Hey everyone,

good news, and a little problem.

Good news: the tracking now works. I fixed the screen and tracking points and found someone in my city to track it with boujou.

This is what the setup looks like now. A few markes in a 1m grid, and the rest radnom positions + mic stands for better 3d tracking.

So i have the boujou tracking data and the original footage in after effects and technically it works fine. BUT the whole scene is shifted.
So when i put in a text layer and want to simply put it back in z-space, i have to put it back on the z-axis and the x-axis because the whole scene and camera are shifted to the left.
This is the top-view in my after effects window:

it's quite a time killer to move and rotate everything to fit the camera. I don't know if that happened in Boujou or in AE. And i don't know if i'm missing a very simple trick to fix it.
Can i just select everything and rotate it so it's in the right angle?!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Sep 12, 2016 at 7:06:53 am

In most cases you can fix things like this by creating a 3D null, connecting everything to it, rotating and scaling the null until you have things aligned how you want and then disconnecting everything from the null.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Sep 12, 2016 at 11:25:45 pm

I suspect that you have too few planes which may be confusing the tracker - totally my instinct, I will add. I suspect the tracker is seeing only 2 or 3 planes - red flags, right wall and/or left wall - and only the red flags are crossing over anything behind them and giving clear parallax. It might be worth trying a setup where you add some free standing green markers away from the walls so that as the camera moves there is clear crossing over of markers at different distances from the camera for better position and depth information?

Return to posts index

Pascal Reinhardt
on Sep 27, 2016 at 5:00:54 pm

Now that the video is done i wanna post a little summary:

The tracking on the black screen with green markers and pink planes in front worked great with a few restrictions. If one of the pink planes was out of frame it, of course, lost the 3d tracking points. So all the important planes for 3d space should ALWAYS be visible.
And another thing i could've done better is to remove the green markers behind/close to the person. Because there were enough other markers and the one that sometimes show from behind the person were impossible to remove, so i had to remove them by hand frame by frame. Keylight 1.2 couldn't get rid of them perfectly ,it always left a nasty frame around them.

Also, shooting on a black screen seemed good in theory, but because in post so many things changed and different ideas came to mind that it would've been better to have a greenscreen to completely remove. And shooting a black screen in a corner wasn't necessary, because it may have confused the tracking program and it only made sense if in the end, the final shot was also placed in a corner. Even placing just text(for a lyric video) over the invisible walls in post looked kind of weird if there weren't any walls to give the right spatial feeling.

I also shot on a greenscreen for the same video and just had some green and pink markers in the corners which i could just mask out. This footage proved to be way better to use. The person/talent was mostly to well lit because of the bright greenscreen behind it but it did work and was way easier to handle than the black screen. I shot with 25 frames and had some issues with motion blur over the greenscreen so i would recommend trying a higher framerate.

One more advice i would give for those 3d tracking shots. Film in 4k if possible and rather keep more trackers and planes in the frame. If you go to 1080 in post you can track more markers in the 4k footage and then just crop it down to the actual image you need.
And the most important thing. KEEP TESTING IN PRE PRODUCTION AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! I was on an impossibly tight schedule so i had to do some learning by doing and come up with new ideas because stuff just didn't work as planned(as usual). But all those mistakes won't happen the next time;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]