ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CUDA cards queries

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brett
CUDA cards queries
on Sep 4, 2016 at 5:38:56 pm

Hi there - having a problem getting AE to use all my graphics cards for processing

----previously been running with 3 x gtx580 cards and a quadro ( for monitor preview)
--- just bought a 780TI which is installed with 2 of the previous 580s but AE only uses the 780 for processing.

The Device Manager and the Nvidia Control Panel both register all 3 of these cards but AE does only sees the 780 in prefs/preview/GPU info and if I render a file I can see that one one card is doing any work ( using Afterburner ) - also its obviously too slow.

CUDA is checked on all three items in the Nvidia Control Panel

Two queries please if anyone can comment-------

1 ) Is a GTX780 TI compatible with a GTX580 ?

2 ) Have I missed a button in AE ? ( have checked list in /support files/recognised cuda cards )

Any ideas on this would be much appreciated -- its proving very hard to solve !

------------------------------------------------------------------- chris brett --------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CUDA cards queries
on Sep 5, 2016 at 4:34:56 pm

Are you trying to get the nvidia card to make AE work faster? If you run a version newer than CS 6 -- aka version 11 -- you should know that it's fruitless to try. Adobe & nvidia parted ways a few years back and CUDA acceleration is no longer supported. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Sep 5, 2016 at 9:16:19 pm

Hi Dave

-- thanks for reply - am aware of that thanks.

....... am not really up to speed with cc versions but seems to me the ray tracing and multiple GPU processing was a great leap forward and I was very disappointed to see C4 lite replace it.........

................I thought the whole point of the ray tracing in cs6 is that you can get fab results WITHOUT have to use a 3D program ... also its very intuitive ( after a bit of practice ! ) and its part of the comp not an imported model ...

...................... I expect I'm missing something but thats what it looks like to me....

Multiple GPUs as well -- great idea works really well I think - I know I'm sorting a problem but got some good results earlier with 3 x 580s and a quadro....

--------------------- all the best ---- chris

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Sep 5, 2016 at 4:59:03 pm

AE uses GPU acceleration only for a few select effects. That said if you want to have multiple GPUs installed they need to be of the same make, model and VRAM size.

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Sep 5, 2016 at 9:23:19 pm

-- thanks for this Tero -

-- not sure --- depends how you are setup I think

-- I know they all have to be Nvidia cards and I have got ok results mixing 3 x 580s and a quadro -- just wondering if anyone knows if a 780TI is compatible with the 580s instead of the quadro - cant get it to work ATM.

... am on CS6 and always work in ray tracing mode -- think its quicker though this isnt technicaly proven so I could be kidding myself !

-------------------------------------- cheers -----chris ---

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Sep 6, 2016 at 5:03:01 am

[chris brett] "-- not sure --- depends how you are setup I think"

"If you have multiple GPUs installed, the GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer will use the CUDA cores on all of them, as long as they are of the same CUDA compute level. After Effects will also use all of the VRAM on the installed GPUs, with the caveat that both cards will be treated as if they each have the amount of VRAM on the card with the lesser amount of VRAM."

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-after-eff...

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:57:18 am

-- thanks Tero --- stating to think the 580 will not work with the 780 ---- will continue with mu search -- maybe get another 780 --

----------------------------------- all the best ----- chris ---

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]