ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weird deformations using time remapping on a comp with vector shapes and masks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Weird deformations using time remapping on a comp with vector shapes and masks
on Sep 3, 2016 at 11:23:32 pm

Hello, everyone!
I've run into this very bothersome and worrying issue. I've been working on a logo for the last couple of days, the final step being an AE animation that uses masks to reveal the logo... the classic "writing effect". So this is an example of the result up to this point:

Everything O.K. up to here. No issues. The thing is, I realised the entire intro to which this logo belongs was running a little long, and I needed to cut about 1, 1.5 seconds off. So I pre-composed everything and in the new parent comp I activated time-remapping and adjusted it to make the animation run faster. And here's where I run into this AE annoyance:

These deformations appear more noticeably on the "e".
Perhaps my approach was not the best one. If you can think of any other way I can speed-up the original animation without having to rework the masks or the masks' keyframes, I'll be all to glad to hear it. But, really, the reason why I chose to pre-comp was that I'm also using wiggle with a specific random seed I've chosen after many, many trials... so the the wiggle animation applied to the entire logo reveal is right now perfect and if I were to speed up the individual logo reveal comps I would lose that animation that's perfect right now.
So, any ideas? A thousand thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Weird deformations using time remapping on a comp with vector shapes and masks
on Sep 3, 2016 at 11:59:14 pm

Are all your layers (inside the precomp) native AE? i.e created entirely in Ae? there's seem to be a mismatch between your layers. what have you got there? a screenshot of the composition would answer these questions.

if all else fails and it's just speeding up, you could always render the composition and re-import it as a video file and use timeremapping. but I would try to solve this without this first.

Return to posts index

Xavier Bonet
Re: Weird deformations using time remapping on a comp with vector shapes and masks
on Sep 4, 2016 at 12:20:14 am

Hi, Roei, thanks for your response.
To answer the first part: yes. The logo was worked in AI but after importing it I converted all to vector shapes, so that becomes native AE, if I'm not very much mistaken. Right now I'm away from my computer but will get a screen cap tomorrow morning. But basically the parent comp, the one I would export, is made up of a pre-comp with time remapping. That pre-comp is made up of the three pre-comps, each with the same logo masked to reveal in differents ways so as to create the effects you see. In each of these comps theres nothing but the vector shape logo and a alpha matte layer on top with the revealing mask. That's about it. Just a couple of expressions: wiggle and random seed. And Ease and Wizz being used on soem sliders that control the wiggle to make it disappear toward the end of the animation (this is in the second level comp, the second one I mentioned.) I can't really see anything that might cause this.
About the second part: I have thought of that, if all else fails, but I think like you: first, try to solve it, make it work as it should, before looking for a workaround.
Thanks a lot for your input!

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Sep 4, 2016 at 12:32:23 am

o.k it seems this should work but I am not completely familiar with your exact setup but see if this helps: bare in mind that the wiggle expression will create random movement based on the index of the layer. so every time you duplicate a layer with a wiggle expression, the duplicate will look slightly different. maybe this is related to your problem or not.

when you can please provide screenshots of your timeline. if you can upload the project, that would be better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]