ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DNxHD codec gone from After Effects after I uninstall Avid Media Composer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tamara Nartichti
DNxHD codec gone from After Effects after I uninstall Avid Media Composer
on Sep 1, 2016 at 1:54:30 pm

DNxHD codec gone after I uninstalled Avid Media Composer. Re-installing Avid Media Composer, installing the DNxHD codec separately doesn't solve the issue. I tried uninstalling both Avid and AE, then installing Avid, then installing AE - same story.

When I choose Quicktime, it doesn't show DNxHD codec option in the codec list. I bought a new computer, installed Avid there, then AE and DNxHD codec was there. I was happy till I had to uninstall Avid and again, the DNxHD codec was gone from the drop-down menu after I did this. All the installing- uninstalling doesn't solve the issue. I'm afraid I'll have to use system recovery to start the whole thing over.

Isn't there a better solution for this? Does anybody know how I can bring the DNxHD codec back to the AE? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DNxHD codec gone from After Effects after I uninstall Avid Media Composer
on Sep 1, 2016 at 2:16:26 pm

The DNxHD codec is available as a free download on the Avid web site. I don't recall exactly where, but the Downloads section is definitely a good starting point. The downloaded installer will have a lot of other codecs in addition to DNxHD.

Am I correct in assuming you were using a tryout version of Avid?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tamara Nartichti
on Sep 1, 2016 at 2:35:52 pm

I downloaded Avid DNxHD codec separately, as I mentioned it, and installed it. After Effects still wouldn't see it. It's still gone from the Quicktime codec option menu. On both computers.

I'm using the full Avid version.

And like I said, this same thing happened in the EXACT same manner on two different computers. Installing codecs doesn't solve this issue. Installing Avid again doesn't solve it either. For some reason when I install Avid, then After Effects it on a CLEAN system for the first time, the codec is there. ONCE I delete Avid, that's it, the codec is gone forever no matter how much installing and uninstalling I do.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 1, 2016 at 2:46:14 pm

Sorry, I misread. I don't see any problem just leaving Avid on your machine just for the codecs. It doesn't mean you're obligated to use it.

This almost sounds like an application-operating system mismatch. I can't see if mentioned thse details. I'm writing on a pretty dumb smart phone.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tamara Nartichti
on Sep 1, 2016 at 2:57:16 pm

Lol, it's totally fine. I'm grateful for any help at this point. Yes, I didn't have to uninstall Avid. I regret doing so now because apparently installing it back doesn't solve this issue.

And I agree, it's some unique operational issue. My only hope was that someone else had encountered something similar and could suggest options. Thanks again! Any help is much appreciated. :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 1, 2016 at 3:13:36 pm

HA! Now I'm on a desktop.

Here's a thought -- you can ask about this issue on the COW'S Avid forum. Come prepared with precise application & OS version numbers. I'll bet someone else has experienced this as well.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tamara Nartichti
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:22:26 pm

I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to posts index

Tamara Nartichti
on Sep 2, 2016 at 4:08:35 pm

Omg, I found solution on the Adobe forum. After Effects couldn't see the codecs because when I deleted Avid, apparently, they were deleted from the QT System folder.

I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTComponents folder, copied all *.qtx files and pasted them into C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem folder. AND AFTER EFFECTS finally saw it!!! I have all my Avid codecs back in the QuickTime codecs options :D

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 2, 2016 at 4:22:21 pm

Great! Glad you found the solution and REALLY glad you shared it here. Thanks!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]