ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shot clean up

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jawad ZafarShot clean up
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 7:33:13 am

Hope everyone is good.

I am working on a VFX Shot and I need to clean up my shot. In my following shot There is a sign board and I need to remove this sign board.

How can I remove it?

Waiting for response.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shot clean up
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 3:05:37 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 31, 2016 at 10:47:44 pm

This is not a simple "clean-up" as you have mistakenly thought. This is going to be very difficult to remove, even for a seasoned professional. Extremely difficult, and very time-consuming. Since the sign blocks the background, you have to create the missing parts of the background that the sign blocks. Your best option is Photoshop. Even then, no one could guarantee that the result would be photorealistic.

An alternative is to put something else on the sign that pertains to the nature of your project. This is easier, but still very difficult for a beginner.

The BEST alternative is to re-shoot in a different location with NO sign, and and no unknowing reliance on After Effects' abilities to work miracles.

This is a classic case of thinking to yourself, "We'll fix it in post", but having no prior knowledge of HOW to fix it in post. People don't do effects shots and simply HOPE they will work. They have prior experience doing the precise shot they need, or they have done tests beforehand so that they KNOW they will work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jawad ZafarRe: Shot clean up
by on Sep 1, 2016 at 8:14:19 am

Hi Dave LaRonde!

Thanks a lot for your guidance.

Let me tell you my scenario and requirement in detail.

After cleaning this sign board out I am going to add same kind of another 3D Sign board which will be animating like zero gravity applied and all parts are flying up.

So this area will be covered with another sign board.

and I already have created a clean version of this area in Photoshop successfully.

Now I just have to put that clean plate in the area of board. And want to know how to do it.

I did 3D tracking of whole scene then I added clean plane by camera projection on 2 3D planes. but when camera rotates or move to other side. That projection get stretched. I tried mocha to clean this shot but After cleaning it was showing sharp edges.

Are there any ways If I can apply multiple techniques in different angles of videos to achieve desired shot. If we can trick Audience?

You are most welcome to provide me professional and all level or suggestions.

I will be very thank full.

Waiting for response.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Shot clean up
by on Sep 1, 2016 at 9:01:20 am

The biggest problem here is the parallax. The sign is moving differently than the fence and the fence is moving differently than the field and the field is moving differently than the buildings in the background. You can't deal with that using a single 2D clean plate. You should test the footage with the sign you're trying to put in the scene and look what you'd need to clean.

Return to posts index

Jawad ZafarRe: Shot clean up
by on Sep 1, 2016 at 9:16:36 am

Thanks a lot Tero Ahlfors!

I will try your suggestion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved