ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Connecting Multiple Layers Ends Together

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donghyuk KimConnecting Multiple Layers Ends Together
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 2:02:39 am

I am pretty new to after effects, knowing only the bear minimum. What I am trying to accomplish is a multi colored progress bar of sorts.
For example I have 2 different colored solids and what I am trying to do is link or connect them to the ends of each other so that when I scale one up only horizontally with the anchor point at 0 , 50 the other layer will follow the now moving edge of the first layer. I know this can be accomplished with tedious keyframes but I was wonder if there was an easier way to accomplish this task.

I hope this wasn't too confusing to understand..

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Connecting Multiple Layers Ends Together
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:59:13 am

If I understand your issue correctly it#s just a matter of linking one layer to another.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Eddy ElliottRe: Connecting Multiple Layers Ends Together
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 8:05:39 am

The easiest way to do this is to draw out your bar with shape layers how you want it to be, then pre comp it them. Once pre comped, turn on continuous rasterization on the pre comp layer in the timeline. Move your anchor point with the 'y' key to where you want to scale from and unlink constrain proportions next to scale. Then just scale on x to your desired width (or indeed y).

Also, you could just do it all on one shape layer. Again, moving the layer anchor point to where you want to scale from.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Connecting Multiple Layers Ends Together
by on Aug 31, 2016 at 3:11:00 pm

I would use a nested comp in the shape of your progress bar. In it you would simply put as many solids in as many color as you want. Position them to taste.

Then nest the comp in the main comp. Move the nested comp's anchor point to the edge that will stay stationary once the growing begins. Position it in the comp. Now animate the horizontal scale from zero to whatever you want -- all the colors will grow proportionately to the scale.

Very simple.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Donghyuk KimRe: Connecting Multiple Layers Ends Together
by on Sep 2, 2016 at 3:23:27 am

Well what if i wanted to be able to individually scale one color and have the others stay the same but move with the shape being scaled edge?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Connecting Multiple Layers Ends Together
by on Sep 2, 2016 at 4:29:32 pm

You could animate the layers' position in the nested comp if you like.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Donghyuk KimRe: Connecting Multiple Layers Ends Together
by on Sep 5, 2016 at 3:06:21 am

Im sorry but is it possible for me to get instructions on that.. I am not sure what a nested comp is

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]