ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D text tracking to long drone shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Milwood
3D text tracking to long drone shot
on Aug 29, 2016 at 7:36:46 pm

Hello,

Brand new to the forum so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question. I'm stumped on a shot where I need to track 3d text to 3 different areas. This is drone footage from about 100' high, traveling approximately 200 yds. Progress so far: footage has been trimmed, rotated, and stabilized. I have tried AE's 3D camera tracker, and no luck. I have exported to Mocha AE, have gotten some good tracks, but when exporting back into AE, I get very bad drift. I have been working on this one shot for hours upon hours, watched every tutorial I can find, but still not able to really stick the text. Any help is appreciated. Here is an idea of what I'm trying to do. Thank you very much.

Z

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 3D text tracking to long drone shot
on Aug 29, 2016 at 11:26:02 pm

[Zach Milwood] " footage has been trimmed, rotated, and stabilized"

No mention of a key next step: PRERENDERED. Do it, and try the track again on the prerendered footage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zach Milwood
on Aug 30, 2016 at 3:23:44 am

Hello David,

Thank you for your reply. Can you please clarify what you mean by pre-rendering? Once the clip was trimmed and stabilized, I did export it, and then imported back into AE. I then exported to Mocha AE, got the nice track, but when bringing back into AE, get really bad drift. Don't know if it's a keyframing issue or what exactly. So when you say pre-rendering, are you talking about doing that in AE or Mocha? Sorry if this is a noobie question. I appreciate your time.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Aug 30, 2016 at 1:52:52 am

How long is the clip? If Dave's suggestion doesn't help, sometimes I find it best to give in and manually track frame by frame. It might take an hour or so depending on the length, but it beats wasting another whole day trying to get the track just right.

Return to posts index

Zach Milwood
on Aug 30, 2016 at 3:27:05 am

Hello Daniel, and thanks for replying. The clip is 22 seconds long. I'm thinking that the length of it, as well as the distance traveled, are why I'm having such ridiculous issues with it.

As for your suggestion to do it manually, are you referring to doing a 3d camera track in AE, and then adjusting keyframes manually when it starts to drift? We're talking about 600 plus frames, so if I can get AE or Mocha to do 95% of the work for me, it would obviously be a huge help. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Aug 30, 2016 at 4:53:52 pm

One thing that can help is setting the camera's focal length manually. Figure out the focal length equivalent (18mm, 24mm, whatever) and enter that in the 3D camera tracker. It will help nail the tracking down. Also, you may want to increase the contrast before tracking--an adjustment layer in the pre-comp can help with that.

Return to posts index

Zach Milwood
on Aug 30, 2016 at 7:22:00 pm

Thank you Blaise. I will give that a try today.

Z

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 30, 2016 at 9:14:31 pm

One should do 3D tracking before stabilizing the footage. If you're cropping the image and THEN giving it a focal length/sensor size/whatever info then you'll get bad results because the view has changed.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Aug 30, 2016 at 10:34:08 pm

Good call, Tero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]