ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Interpret Composition" or equivalent script/workaround:

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ari Valen Levinson"Interpret Composition" or equivalent script/workaround:
by on Aug 28, 2016 at 11:07:14 pm

When working with vendors supplying things like matchmove or 3D, I often get projects back in the wrong framerate. Basically, imagine I have a comp which is 100 frames long at 24fps and has tracking data for each frame. Sometimes the comps I get back are, for example, at 30fps. It's still 100 frames long, and all the data lines up per frame, but it's all at the wrong framerate, so the shot in this case would be playing faster than normal.

At this point, I've got two options:

•I can go back to the vendor and say "Hey! Fix this!" which will take 24hrs at least, and may still not be right. Or:
•I can copy the keyframe data into a text editor and change the framerate header to the proper frame rate, and paste it back in. This works pretty well, except if there are many many layers in the project.

If the composition was a footage layer, the "Interpret Footage" dialogue would solve the problem. However, no such option exists for compositions. Merely changing the composition's framerate would leave me with extra frames and data that doesn't line up.

•The RD_Compsetter script is very useful for related tasks, but unfortunately just changes the comp framerate as you would in Compositor settings.

What I'm wondering is this: Is there a way (probably a script) to "Interpret" the composition and all keyframe data in it as a different framerate?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: "Interpret Composition" or equivalent script/workaround:
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:27:42 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 29, 2016 at 5:30:56 pm

It's an easy fix. The 30 fps footage is almost certainly image sequences; AE's default frame rate for them is 30 fps. The frame rates can be fixed in the Interpret Footage settings.

You can also change the default frame rate for image sequences if you want; I think it's in AE Preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: "Interpret Composition" or equivalent script/workaround:
by on Aug 30, 2016 at 9:56:14 am

You could precompose the tracked footage and leave the inner precomp's frame rate wrong, change the outside containing comp's frame rate to the correct frame rate, and use Time Remap to adjust the duration, correcting the frame rate.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved