ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

sRGB

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithsRGB
by on Aug 28, 2016 at 5:10:52 pm

Can I just convert all the colors in a composition to sRGB? If so, how do I do it?

All my image assets come from PS or AI. But I don't think I paid enough attention to sRGB vs. Apple whatever vs....

I use under 10 colors on this project.

And the output is going to Vimeo.

sRGB or bust??

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: sRGB
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:21:51 am

sRGB, I say! It's just ten colors... hard to go wrong.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jerry SmithRe: sRGB
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 7:56:43 am

Thanks Dave! I'm so happy to hear that from you!

How do I do it? Do I just do it when I put it in the Render Queue? I'm a bit confused as there are various smart objects and the AI files aren't sRGB.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 5:46:15 pm

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd just render out the animation in a lossless codec, reimport into AE, then fool with the masking to compare colors. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Then use Adobe Media Encoder to convert the lossless animation for delivery.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: sRGB
by on Aug 29, 2016 at 8:11:24 pm

[Jerry Smith] "Can I just convert all the colors in a composition to sRGB? If so, how do I do it? All my image assets come from PS or AI. But I don't think I paid enough attention to sRGB vs. Apple whatever vs...."

This is exactly what color management is for.

If you enable color management for your project by setting a working space in the project settings (may as well use sRGB since that's what you want to output), Ae will transform colors from your footage files (which are tagged with their native color profiles) into your working space (sRGB) for compositing. By default, your outputs will match your working space (sRGB).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Sep 3, 2016 at 5:59:17 pm

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure what I want to do is keep all the hexedecimals the same but just make sure that the hexes are delivered as sRGB. I suspect that that may be different from conversion.

I think I have Apple, Adobe, and sRGB profiles in play. But everything originated in AI or PS or AE with specific hexes. I have a rather elaborate system of hexes.

One day I noticed that a few hexes seemed to be off so slightly. That may be my error. More likely though is that AE converted something.

Another day I noticed that a candy apple red on my usual mac machines looked more like Burgundy on a windows machine.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: sRGB
by on Sep 4, 2016 at 11:46:04 pm

if the end product doesn't read color profiles, and if they are different than the native screen profile of your monitor, you will have to use AE's utility profile converter to burn in the correct color profile to the video codec.

Also, some video codecs only accept video legal levels and you will get washed out or darkened images by not using 16-235 color management over full range 0-255. especially quicktime codecs and working to/from avid.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2016 at 3:35:49 pm

I'm sorry, but this is going to take me a while to get straight.

Let's take an example. I use the color #a30101, a sorta Ferrari red. Sometimes I created it in AI, sometimes in PS, sometimes as a solid in AE, sometimes as a fill in AE. I'm not sure what color profiles were in play. sRGB, Apple, and Adobe RGB I think. So anyway, I just looked and I am using 8bit color with my Working Space set to None. #a30101 looks good on my Mac+Dell monitor. When I change the Working Space to most of the other options at the top of the list, it looks too orange/bright. When I change it to sRGB, it looks too dark, unless I turn off Use Display Color Mangement. Linearize is set to off. Compensate for Scene-referred Profiles is set to on.

Final output is for web/computer video.

What should I do?

---------------

Further worries. The red comes out too dark if I view the video on a Lenovo laptop. In fact it comes out too dark even if I just put A30101 in a CSS file for a HTML page. Is that a problem with the brightness of the laptop?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2016 at 3:55:32 pm

Unless ALL of the monitors on which you view the files have been calibrated to be precisely the same, you're engaging in an exercise in futility -- you have no way of knowing which one is correct.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2016 at 5:05:22 pm

Is your monitor profiled?

Adobe has a decent overview of their color management system here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/color-management.html

Maybe start there, then come back with any questions and I'll be happy to try to help you.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2016 at 1:31:46 pm

Thanks to both of you.

Dave, I understand what you getting at. But we agreed that I should use sRGB. The problem is that I don't know how to do that.

Walter, my monitor has not been profiled, but it is a decent monitor albeit getting up there in years. It is a Dell that cost in the the 700 range.

But my needs are pretty simple because my pallette is tiny. No gradients. Half a dozen colors. All I really need is the color #A30101 to look Candy Apple / You Tube / Ferrari red. The other colors will likely look good enough no matter what I do. I just punched in the hex A30101 in AI, PS, AE, but I paid no attention to color management. It looks good both on my Dell monitor and on my iMac. But it looked a little dark on the Windows machine.

Sooo, let me just ask this question. Is that a good hex? Or is there some close hex that would be better? How does #A30101 look on your monitor?

THANKS!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2016 at 2:32:07 pm

Not sure if you guys saw my responses. :)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2016 at 6:50:22 pm

Walter, are you around?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2016 at 8:21:13 pm

[Jerry Smith] "So anyway, I just looked and I am using 8bit color with my Working Space set to None. #a30101 looks good on my Mac+Dell monitor. When I change the Working Space to most of the other options at the top of the list, it looks too orange/bright. When I change it to sRGB, it looks too dark, unless I turn off Use Display Color Mangement. "

Different devices may use different RGB values to produce the same color, or they may use the same RGB values to produce different colors. Dealing with these discrepancies is the purpose of color management.

With color management off, or with color management on and display color management off, you are just sending some RGB values directly to your graphics card/monitor, and it's completely up to the hardware how they display. The system as a whole has no idea what color it will be.

With color management on, and with display color management on, you are telling the system how your monitor behaves, and you are able to translate the RGB values the GPU/monitor receives to describe how that specific hardware combination would display the color you intend. This only works when your monitor is profiled. If your monitor is not profiled, then color management is useless.

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to guarantee that your viewers will all see the same red unless you also control their systems and viewing conditions.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]