ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Premiere > AE 4K proxy work flow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhys Sherring
Premiere > AE 4K proxy work flow
on Aug 28, 2016 at 6:50:14 am

Hey folks,

so I'll be editing my short film for uni this semester, and all of the footage is shot in 4K for some flexibility in cropping and possible stabilising. It seems to be easy enough encoding 720 proxy files (DNxHD seems popular) to edit with in Premiere, but I'll be needing to take some of the shots, including a transition between two individual shots, into AE for some VFX work. Turning the proxy edit offline and relinking the 4K footage files is fine for a plain edit, but what procedure shall I have to undertake when working with AE edited footage?

Would I simply have to work with the 4K footage in AE, importing the Premiere sequence via AE after re-linking the original files in the edit? Working with a transition effect combines two vid files together whilst the proxys are two individual files. But would individual vid files imported to AE with the proxy resolution, worked on, then exported from AE and imported back into the Premiere edit with the exact file name, link up to the originals with the VFX work staying on them?

Thanks guys.
Rhys.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Premiere > AE 4K proxy work flow
on Aug 28, 2016 at 4:23:56 pm

Ae/Pr transition work like this is a nightmare. Every time the timing tweaks a little in the edit, you have to push it all the way through the pipeline again.

I recommend holding these transitions off until as late as possible in the edit, working from the conformed full-res files in Ae, and rendering out new, clearly-labeled media that can sit right on top of the edit point in the Premiere timeline.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 28, 2016 at 4:53:11 pm

I second Walter's advice. AE was never designed for effects work on an entire edited project. It was designed for effects work on individual shots. Its capabilities have improved over time, but AE still does individual shots best.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rhys Sherring
on Aug 29, 2016 at 10:36:20 am

This is what I was afraid of. Leave it to the end you say, even after the colour correction? And work with the individual 4K files in AE? Then export it, and import back into the edit?

I'm most likely going to export the final edit as 1080 HD. I guess I could export the individual shots requiring AE work as 1080s, and export them out of AE as 1080s still then back into the edit for the final cut export?

Thanks for the help guys! Muchly appreciated.

Rhys.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 29, 2016 at 5:50:45 pm

The important thing is to have Edit Lock. There comes a point where you have to say to yourself, "All right, no more tweaking the ins and outs. This is it." Then you can proceed.

There is NO workflow that allows people to change their minds right up until delivery. You have to make choices and stick to them. If you don't, you'll experience pain.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]