ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to add blink effect to 120fps comp - any way?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Baker
Need to add blink effect to 120fps comp - any way?
on Aug 25, 2016 at 10:46:46 pm

I'm creating a controlled blink effect that starts at 120hz and slows to below 20hz over time. I need to do this in a 120fps comp to get the granularity needed for the effect to work. I have the expression I need to do this and have tested at 60fps – but I can't figure out how to do it at 120fps and output a 120fps master. I wish I could ask Ang Lee who just did this on his latest movie! Anyway this is not that kind of project... But is it possible? If not in AE, what editors support a true 120fps timeline or composition?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need to add blink effect to 120fps comp - any way?
on Aug 25, 2016 at 11:27:24 pm

The maximum frame rate of an AE comp is 99fps. No 120 fps. Sorry.

I can't think of any editing application (which AE is NOT, incidentally) capable of editing at 120 fps. Maybe Premiere Pro, if you have it you can check. Maybe FCPX, it's kinda weird. Maybe Vegas -- no clue about that one. Sorry again.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Baker
on Aug 26, 2016 at 3:23:10 am

Yes I use all those apps. It's strange they are not frame rate agnostic at this point (especially AE).
I know media encoder will keep the frame rate when transcoding but I really need to use the expression in AE...
Maybe I could go with 90fps and see if that works well enough...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 26, 2016 at 11:15:30 am

Lots of video applications are tied to common video standards -- and there is no 120fps standard. That said, I certainly agree that Ae especially should be able to handle arbitrary HFR natively.

Assuming you have some way to play 120fps back (how are you doing that, by the way?), you could do all your work in Ae at some multiple of the speed and use image sequences (which have no native frame rate) for interchange with your HFR playback. You'll have to render to truly test, though.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeff Baker
on Aug 26, 2016 at 3:12:37 pm

This project is for a museum video installation so the hardware and screen will be controlled. I've done some tests and a powerful gpu card can output 120fps without dropping frames at 1080P if I use an a codec that is not cpu intensive (according to VLC player). But I'm just in the proof of concept phase so I'm not sure about 4K yet.
The video is a brainwave experience. The video itself does not have to be 120fps (although it can be), but the flickering I induce with an AE opacity expression does need to playback at 120 to work.
I just don't know how to replicate the expression (other than manually - which would take forever) in another effects program. But if someone knows of one, I would be excited to try it out for this project.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 26, 2016 at 3:27:43 pm

Many computer monitors and projectors work at 30Hz or 60Hz, so make sure your playback device is capable of doing what you need too.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]