ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adobe Camera raw on a quicktime import?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas TothAdobe Camera raw on a quicktime import?
by on Aug 24, 2016 at 6:17:29 pm

We shoot a lot of time-lapse video, and typically I'll use the raw importer in after effects, or lightroom to finish/fix any sequences we shoot. Works well. All raw .CR2 (canon formatted) files.

In the newer version of camera raw there are some AWESOME perspective repair tools, that embed within the .xmp file of the sequences we import. I'm trying to get this to work on anything BUT .dng or .cr2 files that I import to finish some shots off. Seems that I can do this in photoshop by importing the video>set video layer to smart object>apply camera raw filter, but the output times are atrocious and the .psd files will not import into after effects with animation to batch out. Trying to apply this effect to any sort of .tga/.psd sequence or .mov wrapper.

So my question is, has anyone used the Camera Raw interface on anything other than raw files within after effects? Is there any sort of hack? Even to export it as a .dng sequence would be an option at this point, but after some sniffing around I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tim KurkoskiRe: Adobe Camera raw on a quicktime import?
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 6:47:07 pm

Transcode the .mov frames to JPEG, TIFF, PSD, or PNG.

In the Import dialog in After Effects, change the Enable option to All Files, and change the Format to Camera Raw. Select your image sequence and click Import. (On Mac 10.11, you'll need to click the Options button to show the Enable and Format options.)

This will force After Effects to use Camera Raw to read these files instead of the standard importers; it works only because Camera Raw supports JPEG, TIFF, PSD, and PNG (you can't force a QuickTime file through this way because ACR doesn't know how to decode one). After you change the Camera Raw settings, if you want to adjust them later, open the Interpret Footage dialog and click More Options.

Return to posts index

Nicholas TothRe: Adobe Camera raw on a quicktime import?
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 10:14:04 pm

Tim --

Thanks for the reply!

I'm following your instructions, and getting an error.

This is how I'm importing the sequence:

I've tried all jpeg/TIFF/png out of AME so far, and I'm getting the same bug.

Any idea?

thnx

Return to posts index

by on Aug 26, 2016 at 1:13:29 am

That error indicates that a file is being processed that the Camera Raw plug-in doesn't know how to read.

If you deselect the Camera Raw Sequence option, and just import a single file, does that work OK? Can you share one of the files with me so I can take a look at it? What version of the Camera Raw plug-in do you have installed?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:23:02 pm

Tim,

Still not working with single files. This error is popping up.

Here is a link to 4 images of the sequence:

10484_sequenceexample.zip

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:27:01 pm

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 4:33:30 pm

The files you provided work as expected for me, see image below. Not sure what's happening on your end.

Perhaps its time to try resetting the preferences for After Effects and/or Camera Raw. Users/yourUser/Library/Preferences, remove (temporarily, to see if it solves the problem) both Adobe Camera Raw 9.0 Prefs and Adobe/After Effects/13.x (whichever release of After Effects you're using).

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 5:16:36 pm

Resetting both preferences solved the problem. Up and running! Thanks Tim.

One last question. In the future of AE, do you see Camera Raw as an effect? One of the best things in photoshop is layering the perspective repair tools. So atleast I use it a lot to tweak the look of photos/undistort.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 5:25:00 pm

> One last question. In the future of AE, do you see Camera Raw as an effect? One of the best things in photoshop is layering the perspective repair tools. So atleast I use it a lot to tweak the look of photos/undistort.

Potentially, yes. The After Effects team has tossed that idea around before. Specifically, implementing individual components of Camera Raw as effects in in After Effects, which is easier to process than the entire Camera Raw plug-in as a single effect.

In fact, we've done some of this in the past, such as the Vibrance effect, which came from the Camera Raw code. (Although in that case the Photoshop team did the heavy lifting of extracting Vibrance into its own separate chunk of code.)

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2016 at 7:43:45 pm

Those new perspective tools would really shred it in After Effects for fixing shots.

Just sayin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]