ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Superimposing A Proposed Sculpture For Public Art Over Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Koch-SchulteSuperimposing A Proposed Sculpture For Public Art Over Video
by on Aug 24, 2016 at 3:40:23 pm
Last Edited By Michael Koch-Schulte on Aug 24, 2016 at 9:02:10 pm

I'm new to AE (AfterEffects). So, it's a newbie question. I have decent skills with other Adobe CC products but I'm on a tight deadline for what follows.

A project recently came up for a piece of public sculpture at the corner of a major intersection in my city. My team is shortlisted for the work. I would like to create a couple of short video clips (3-10 sec. max) shot from the perspective of a car passing by the corner, or someone observing the corner from across the street as pedestrians and traffic flow by. It's a vertical sculpture about 30' tall in a small plaza.
If you can, in broad strokes, please give me an outline of the steps, layers, effects I'll need to employ to create this illusion ie. how you'd do it.
I'll have a SketchUp mock up of the design in a couple of days from the sculpture and I'm going to shoot the video portion today or tomorrow. It can look a little hand drawn and rough if necessary. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Superimposing A Proposed Sculpture For Public Art Over Video
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 12:18:33 am

Broad strokes:

1) You'll need to use a 3D camera tracker to solve the camera from your footage. This will analyze your footage, try to figure out how the real camera moved in real space, then create a camera in Ae with matching movement.

2) Bring your 3D sculpture into Ae with a plugin like Element 3D that can react to the camera.

3) Tweak scale and position of the object to get it just right.

4) Mask out any areas where the sculpture is obscured by foreground objects in the footage.

This is not the easiest first project you could have picked to learn After Effects. Since you're new to Ae, I'd recommend the following link, in which former After Effects product manager Todd Kopriva pulled together some important introductory materials:

I think the Andrew Devis After Effects Basics series and the Video Copilot Basic Training and are particularly good starts.

You'll also want to documentation and/or tutorials on 3D Camera Tracker (built-in) and Element 3D (third-party).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Michael Koch-SchulteRe: Superimposing A Proposed Sculpture For Public Art Over Video
by on Aug 25, 2016 at 3:58:45 am

Thank you sir!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved