ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Order of layers, animation, puppet, duik

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kseniya ShirokovaOrder of layers, animation, puppet, duik
by on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:20:28 pm

Hi, i'm a newbie in animation and trying to make a little cartoon, all by myself. Found a thing i can't cope with.
There is a character consisting of few layers. He should perform an action - from standing take a sit to the lotus position.
Here is the pic of particles -
I care only about the lower part. There are 3 layers for now: legs and the lower part of the robe. I also see a variant of creating a separate layer for those folds of the robe's low left.
The problem is - i don't know how to order those layers or what instrument to use, to make my guy sit like this -
his legs thighs should be under the robe, everything else like at the picture.
To create this reference i used masks, though they appeared to not work that good with puppet pins in the layer. I don't even know how to state the question properly in google search.
I use puppet tool and Duik. But overlap tool works only inside one layer(as far as i understand), in Duik i found nothing alike. Just reordering the layers won't help, because there always would be one part of the leg in the wrong order.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Order of layers, animation, puppet, duik
by on Aug 24, 2016 at 7:21:18 am

Animate the puppet using Duik. You will have the issue you mentioned - do not worry. Render the animation with the left leg hidden, then with the right leg hidden (both with alpha). Now you can sandwich the two animation layers and mask out the legs to get the desired parts to come on top and create the illusion you are after.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved