ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyframing color not working??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Murik
Keyframing color not working??
on Aug 23, 2016 at 2:07:36 pm

I've been trying to follow this tutorial:

But when they get to the part about keyframing color in order to change it, as soon as I tick the little stopwatch icon and change the color, it edits it for the whole animation. No matter what I do, I can't get it to start changing color only at that keyframe and not for the whole thing. I started learning AE today and I've hit a serious bump! Please help! I'm using AE CS6 if it helps.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Keyframing color not working??
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:06:49 pm

Where's the part where they are keyframing color? I'm not watching the whole thing.

Return to posts index

Jordan Murik
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:41:26 pm

Quoting isn't working for me, but it's around 3 minutes and 40 seconds.

Also, I'll try that... Sorry, I'm new to this and as a result, really stupid. But when I try, it wipes out all the little green and blue bars that already exist and make a new, little green bar. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's weird... Also, Color is ticked throughout the entire thing when I tick the stopwatch icon next to "Color" in Effect Controls. Is this normal?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:19:29 pm

It sounds like you're only making one keyframe. If you enable keyframing and then start changing the color on the only keyframe, of COURSE it'll change it for the whole video...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jordan Murik
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:44:27 pm

I clicked the stopwatch thing next to "Colors" in Effect Controls, but "Add Keyframe" is still grayed out in "Animation". Did that not make a keyframe?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:51:22 pm

The stopwatch does not add keyframes. It is a toggle that controls whether a property can be keyframed or not.

When the stopwatch is off, any adjustments to the value of the property will affect it for the entire duration of the layer. When the stopwatch is on, any adjustments to the value of the property will affect only the value at the current time indicator, creating/modifying keyframes as necessary.

There are separate keyframe navigation controls in the timeline which allow you to create a keyframe, or jump to the previous or next keyframes.

See here for more on keyframing specifically:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/setting-selecting-deleting-keyf...

Since you're new to Ae, I'd recommend the following link, in which former After Effects product manager Todd Kopriva pulled together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I think the Andrew Devis After Effects Basics series and the Video Copilot Basic Training and are particularly good starts.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jordan Murik
on Aug 23, 2016 at 7:14:23 pm

Could you show me an image of what to click? Because the site says if you have a property ticked, like Color, you can go into Animation and click "Add Color Keyframe". But when I try, it's grayed out.

On the option that doesn't involve changing a property, I can't find the diamond icon they want me to click anywhere.

Am I forced to use Auto-Keyframe? Is that frowned upon?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2016 at 7:58:57 pm

[Jordan Murik] "Could you show me an image of what to click? Because the site says if you have a property ticked, like Color, you can go into Animation and click "Add Color Keyframe". But when I try, it's grayed out."

Sure. This is the keyframe navigator:

And this is how to enable it if you don't see it:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jordan Murik
on Aug 23, 2016 at 9:41:32 pm

OH! I didn't have the Effects tab expanded! That's why! Ah, I didn't even think of that...

Return to posts index

Jordan Murik
on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:38:13 pm

I got it to work! Thank you, everyone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]