ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cloud gradient/transparent transition ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael morrowCloud gradient/transparent transition ?
by on Aug 20, 2016 at 4:47:41 pm

I watched this Creative Cow youtube video, where a guy makes a cloud gradient .psd, imports it into AE and uses it with the Gradient Wipe transitions to make his text gradually appear along the cloud pattern.

I'm trying to do something similar, but instead, I wan't to transition between two different pieces of footage, using the cloud gradient to gradually erase parts of the top footage until it reveals the next footage. Not much different than a simple opacity animation transition -- just more dynamic.

The problem is, when I try to do this, the cloud pattern begins emerging through my footage as black...until it becomes solid black...I was expecting it to reveal the next layer in that pattern...not become black. What should I do to get the effect I'm looking for ? Thanks

Return to posts index

Greg GeschRe: Cloud gradient/transparent transition ?
by on Aug 21, 2016 at 2:06:55 am

Hi. Can you use the cloud/wipe as a track matte with the appearing layer as the top layer? Depending on how you want the transition to complete you might blow out the cloud layer, fade it into a white background or even something more dynamic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved