ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Inserting a countdown timer at a specific point in time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay YeeInserting a countdown timer at a specific point in time
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 9:52:43 am

I've just begun toying around with AE for a personal project. I've tried searching on the internet in regards to what I'm looking for but because I'm so new to the software I'm afraid the keywords I used aren't coming up with any results that would answer my question.

Basically, I would like to know if it's possible to create a timer that starts and end at a specific time in a video? I know how to create a basic countdown timer by creating a text layer, converting it to numbers and then time-reverse the layer. However, this creates a timer that starts at the beginning of the video and doesn't stop til the end. For example, let's say I have a video that is 2 minutes long and I want to start a countdown 30 seconds into the duration and then stop it at the 1 minute mark, how would this be achieved?

If there's any sources or sites that would explain the methods used, I would be more than grateful! Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Inserting a countdown timer at a specific point in time
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 4:12:08 pm

Create a separate composition in the same project which contains nothing but your 30-second countdown. Bring that composition into your main composition and adjust the start time of the layer.

Since you're new to Ae, I'd recommend the following link, in which former After Effects product manager Todd Kopriva pulled together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I think the Andrew Devis After Effects Basics series and the Video Copilot Basic Training and are particularly good starts.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Inserting a countdown timer at a specific point in time
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 6:24:30 pm

I make most of my number counting graphics using expressions. Dan Ebbert has some very handy ones like this or this. It may look intimidating at first, but if you look at the code you can see where to change it to fit your needs. Once you understand them, they become very powerful.

Return to posts index

Sven HeibRe: Inserting a countdown timer at a specific point in time
by on Sep 28, 2016 at 10:03:35 am

Hi There,

is it possible with this expression to set the timer without counting the hours or better just count the minutes up to for example 100min : 35sec

I need a timer only with minutes and seconds but at the moment the timer only counts up to 60min.

Thanks for any answer!

Greetings
Sven

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]