ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

PS or AI for After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan SuterPS or AI for After Effects?
by on Aug 17, 2016 at 3:14:26 pm

I'm working on an animation with a bunch of 2D objects that I'll arrange in a 3D space to create a scene. Before I get too far, I want to find out if I should be using PS or AI to create these elements that I'll then be importing into AE.

The 2D objects are going to be of basic shapes, limited color palette, and minimalist design. I'm also going to be blending in some texture on each of the shapes. For example to create a wall, I'll be taking a gray square and blending in a high-contrast, desaturated, semi-transparent photo of a real wall. The gray square will retain the color, but have a hint of real wall texture.

I've looked at several forums and pages, and think that AI would best serve the creation of the simplistic shapes, but I have concerns about the blending modes porting over into AE. Does anyone have any guidance they could provide on this?

(I tried to create the objects in After Effects as shapes, but once I started compiling the layers in the scene, all the blending got honked up.)

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: PS or AI for After Effects?
by on Aug 17, 2016 at 3:35:59 pm

Either one will work, but I greatly prefer Photoshop for anything that has texture on it.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: PS or AI for After Effects?
by on Aug 17, 2016 at 7:19:48 pm

For AI the vector(rasterize) makes it easier if scaling is required especially in 3D Camera.
As far as applying textures then PS is best but you can import most image formats in AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved