ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Placeholders + Rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake StevensPlaceholders + Rendering
by on Aug 17, 2016 at 1:28:55 am

I'm a complete NEWBIE to A.E. as of 1 week ago.
I'd like to know, when inputing photos or videos into template placeholders, do the file size of the placeholder content add to the export rendering time in A.E.???

For example if I put in a 200MB video into a placeholder in A.E. will that cause a much longer render time than if I had input a 100MB video into the same placeholder?

iMac 27", i7, 4.0GHZ, 5K Retina, 32GB Ram, 512 SDD, 4TB Ext. HD, Final Cut Pro 10.2.3, After Effects CC v13.8.0.144 (2015.3 release)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Placeholders + Rendering
by on Aug 17, 2016 at 2:54:14 am

The size of the video file will not affect render time at all, other than whatever time difference is required to actually read the file from disk and decode it. This will likely not even be measurable in your case.

Templates can be deceptively complicated. A lot of their real work is hidden in nested compositions (commonly called precomps in Ae lingo). A lot of the really good-looking templates use all kinds of "computationally expensive" (read: slow to render) effects and settings that look great but really take a lot of time to chew through.

Since you're new to Ae, I'd recommend the following link, in which former After Effects product manager Todd Kopriva pulled together some important introductory materials:

I think the Andrew Devis After Effects Basics series and the Video Copilot Basic Training and are particularly good starts.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved