ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Symbolically link comps imported from another file?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank LimaSymbolically link comps imported from another file?
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 4:43:18 am

Hi folks!

Okay, so here's my conundrum...

I have created after effects files for an animated film. Each file contains a single comp that is a shot number.

Then I have another after effects file with ALL of the shots I've imported (each one being a file with a single comp that is a shot number).
So I'll have an AE file with shots 1 - 100 (all 100 AE files imported with their comps)

Say I need to make adjustments to shot 52.
The only way that I can do it now is to go to the original shot 52 after effects file, make the modification and then re-import that file back to the master AE file with all of the shot comps.

Is there a way I can symbolically link these comps to the master file so that if I change the shot 52 AE file, the comp on the master will change too?

Or - better yet (if there is no solution) what kind of workflow would you recommend?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Symbolically link comps imported from another file?
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 1:21:19 pm

It's going to be easier to fix Shot 52 in the big project. Less cnfusing, too.
Comps are always independent entities. You can make two identical comps, but changes in one are NOT reflected in the other. They may use identical footage, but they are independent.

The same thing applies across projects. So in your situation, I think it's best to make changes in just one project. You know that's the place to make changes. Once done, you can create custom default Render Settings and Output Modules, add all 100 comps to the AE Render Queue, save the project, save a copy, hit the Render button and go do something else while AE batch processes all your shots.
Go grab some coffee. Visit friends. Take a nap. Start working on another computer. Let AE do the work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Symbolically link comps imported from another file?
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 2:11:19 pm

Unless you have a specific reason to do the master comp in AE, do it in Premiere. You can have dynamic links to all the AE comps there and they will update.

Then again, I actually prefer to use the rendered files rather than the original AE comps in the editing program, I don't like waiting for rendering of dynamically linked AE comps in Premiere. If you override the earlier renders with new ones, they will update automatically as well.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved