ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

No CUDA in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasilis ChatzivasileiouNo CUDA in After Effects
by on Aug 15, 2016 at 9:43:06 pm

Hi all

My question is with regard to cuda in after effects. I have a 12 core mac pro with a gtx 980 in it. Although in premiere I have to option to choose the Mercury Cuda acceleration, in After Effects I only have the option for the opencl one. Could somebody enlighten me why? I do know that AE does not use the gpu for accelerating (with the exception of ray tracer) but I am curious as to why there is the option for opencl and not cuda.

Thanks for your time.
V

Specs: OS 10.11.6, Latest Nvidia web and cuda drivers.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No CUDA in After Effects
by on Aug 15, 2016 at 10:29:46 pm

There are very few ways to use hardware acceleration in AE. Ray-tracing, the previous reason for using it, has been supplanted by the more efficient C4D Lite. There are very few third-party plugins that use them, one of which is a 3D plugin from Videocopilot.

There just isn't a lot in AE that can even use hardware acceleration, so you're not missing out on much.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: No CUDA in After Effects
by on Aug 15, 2016 at 11:40:53 pm

The latest release of After Effects (CC 2015.3) adds some support for GPU acceleration. It's only 3 effects: Gaussian Blur, Lumetri Color, and Sharpen. On Windows, CUDA and OpenCL are supported. On macOS, OpenCL and Metal are supported. CUDA is not supported on macOS.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Vasilis ChatzivasileiouRe: No CUDA in After Effects
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:23:21 am

Thanks guys for your replies! Thanks! I was curious as to why I only have opencl whereas in premiere I have the option for cuda as well. I thought for a moment that there was something wrong with my setup!

Btw, metal is also not available in CC 2015.3 as it causes panics. According to Adobe they are investigating this issue, which will be addressed in a future update...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: No CUDA in After Effects
by on Aug 16, 2016 at 7:30:18 pm

[Vasilis Chatzivasileiou] "Btw, metal is also not available in CC 2015.3 as it causes panics. According to Adobe they are investigating this issue, which will be addressed in a future update..."

It's no big loss. OpenCL works way better than Metal for these effects at the moment.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 18, 2016 at 7:59:10 am

Cheers! I would expect AE to utilise hardware acceleration more extensively, being a compositing app. Then again, what do I know :-)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: No CUDA in After Effects
by on Aug 18, 2016 at 4:38:57 pm

[Vasilis Chatzivasileiou] "Cheers! I would expect AE to utilise hardware acceleration more extensively, being a compositing app. Then again, what do I know :-)"

Ae's original codebase is 23 years old; that's why the architectural changes they've been making in CC 2015 are such a big deal. There's a lot of stuff in Ae that's been updated over the years, but not re-thought. Until now.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Aug 21, 2016 at 1:44:06 pm

Out of curiosity, I ran the ALU 2 test in both GFXBench GL and GFXbench Metal. GL yielded 60+ fps whereas metal, 120+. Then again, apple is quite behind with its implementation of opengl.

Return to posts index

sage adornoRe: No CUDA in After Effects
by on Nov 7, 2016 at 11:18:41 pm

Out of curiosity, are you happy with your GTX 980 card? I have a mid 2012 Map pro5,1 and was looking into purchasing this for GFX and editing in AE and premiere. Have seen a lot of reviews on this card and the GTX 980 ti for gaming, but not much on using this with adobe products.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]