ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Re-position the anchor point of already animated layer.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spartan KratosRe-position the anchor point of already animated layer.
by on Aug 15, 2016 at 7:58:48 am

Alright, I came across an issue and it drives me nuts. I'll explain an example and I hope it's clear.

Lets say that I have a shape layer with a square form. I want to animate its rotation from the bottom left corner of it. All I have to do is to move the anchor point to the bottom left corner and animate the rotation property. So far so good, but what if I decided to add one more animation to the same the layer. Lets say I want after the rotation animation to add scale animation, but this time I want the animation to start/end from/in the top right corner. That's mean I need to move the anchor point again to the top right corner. Someone may say "Well that sounds easy, just grab the (Pan Behind) tool and re-position the anchor point" BOOM!! the whole animation got messed up, both the rotation and scaling.

So how i can re-position the anchor point for an animated layer without messing up its animation? I know a way around it, but it consumes my time and effort, which is duplicating the layer with different positions for anchor points and trimming them then add two different animations. This method will consume my time and make my composition more complicated.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Re-position the anchor point of already animated layer.
by on Aug 15, 2016 at 4:33:49 pm

If you need the effect of multiple anchor points on the same layer, you can create multiple nulls, position them where you would like the anchor points, and then parent the layer to first null, the first null to the second, etc. You'd animate rotation on the first null, scale on the second.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ali JassimRe: Re-position the anchor point of already animated layer.
by on Aug 15, 2016 at 5:15:51 pm

Well this is another way to get around it, but it's still the same concept of having duplicated layers that I mentioned in my above post. Yet I confess that I completely forgot about the null object, and that makes your method smarter than mine :)

The point of having multiple anchor points in the same layer is to make the composition easy and less complicated. For example, I want to publish my template to other people, and I don't want them to get confused by the huge number of layers. I'm pretty sure there is another way to solve this issue.

Good tip though, I like it very much :)

Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved