ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scrolling List that moves down with every new line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Robles
Scrolling List that moves down with every new line
on Aug 15, 2016 at 2:15:34 am

Hi,

Im trying to create a list that starts with only one line, and as new lines are added the previous line moves down one line. You dont see the move, it just jumps down. Its a long list so I dont want to do this manually. Is there an expression I can use?

A crude example would be like this:

Item 1

then

Item 2
Item 1

then

Item 3
Item 2
Item 1

etc etc.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Scrolling List that moves down with every new line
on Aug 15, 2016 at 4:40:54 am

I don't know why people are convinced that expressions can work miracles. Your deal is straightforward grunt work.

Hey, you're revealing one line at a time, right? And you're revealing at a specific time, right? And you have to type this text so people can read it, right?

You've already done most of the tough stuff. You just need to parent all your text layers to a null. You need to figure out how far down the text needs to move to accommodate a new line at the top. Chances are good this will be a consistent value.

So through the use of parenting and Hokd keyframes on a null, this job easily can be arccomplished. The hardest part is the typing. If you can harness the power of your mind to will the new text layer into existance, it gets even easier.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carlos Robles
on Aug 15, 2016 at 8:24:07 pm

Thanks for the snark.

Return to posts index

Max Pinton
on Aug 15, 2016 at 7:07:01 am

I'm sure there's a way to get a text animator to do this, but the simplest way I could figure out was to use a track matte and then move the text down to reveal a line at a time. You'll want to reverse your text by putting an expression on its Source Text (or reversing the lines in a text editor):

text.sourceText.split('\r').reverse().join('\r');

And then you could put an expression on the text's Y position (right-click Position, Separate Dimensions) to move it down a line per, let's say, second:

transform.yPosition += Math.floor(time) * 36; // replace 36 with your leading

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 15, 2016 at 3:40:49 pm

a very simple, yet manual way, is to simply copy/paste line 1, and add a keyframe to to the source text property. skip down the timeline to where you want line 2 to appear, and copy/paste that into to the text layer before the previous line of text.

repeat for all lines of text.

then, as you move through the timeline, each new line will add at the top of the text layer, effectively moving the previous line down a line.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Carlos Robles
on Aug 15, 2016 at 8:24:59 pm

Thanks, I knew there was a simple solution I wasnt thinking of.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]