ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mac System To Run AfterEffects.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin QianMac System To Run AfterEffects.
by on Aug 12, 2016 at 5:41:43 am

I rarely ask tech questions but since I want both Mac and Windows on the same system, I took the buy an official Mac route instead of going the Hackintosh route which has a good chance of running into a dead end, so if there are any clarifications needed, don't be hesitant to ask back. I am going to run AfterEffects CS 5.5. on a Mac however this is my first official Mac purchase as I got a Mac Copy of CS 5.5 Master Collection for a great rate. I have two paths to take:

1) Get a Refurbished MacPro 5.1 2012 - 3.2GHZ Intel Xeon (Quad) CPU, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 1GB AMD/ATI Radeon 5770 GPU.

2) Get a New iMac MF 2014-2015 - 3.3GHZ Intel Core i5 (Quad) CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 2GB AMD/ATI Radeon R9-M290 GPU.

I know I need to upgrade the MacPro GPU to 2GB at least, and get a new Monitor. However, on the other hand, I will need to upgrade the RAM on the iMac. Keyboard and Mouse is taken included with purchase in both cases. I have not seen any similar plans on a 24-48 hour search so I have to ask, thank you in advanced! I plan on making news graphics and other things on AE CS5.5.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mac System To Run AfterEffects.
by on Aug 12, 2016 at 6:11:37 pm

If you haven't already, you should look into which OS X versions can run AE CS5.5. And/or which OS X versions can run on a new iMac.

I know AE CS5 did not run well, if at all, on the version of OS X that shipped with the new iMacs we got about 9 months ago... interestingly, CS4 ran pretty well...

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin QianRe: Mac System To Run AfterEffects.
by on Aug 12, 2016 at 9:58:31 pm

I am sure I know the issues that arises and I know downloading the Java that is compatible with Adobe CS 5.5 would work, along with reducing Transparency. I didn't buy the Windows version and kept with Windows due to the spotty good results with Windows. I cannot figure out a solid reason for the Adobe CS 5/5.5/6 issues with Windows 10. I am only worried about how it can significantly beat my old build:

QuadCore Q6600 / 4GB DDR2 RAM / nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB / 320GB HDD.

-Kevin.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mac System To Run AfterEffects.
by on Aug 12, 2016 at 10:41:59 pm

For the CS versions AE, the Xeon will likely out perform the Core i5 in most render tasks due to hyperthreading, so I'd be tempted to go that route, though I don't know that the performance difference would be huge.

If you were going to upgrade to the CC version of AE, then the iMac may start to catch up to the Mac Pro, largely due to the SSD and the newer software's media caching method... but you could always add an SSD to the Mac Pro in the future.

Either system should be faster than your current system.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]