ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating 3d virtual set in AE needed.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam BarefootCreating 3d virtual set in AE needed.
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 6:25:04 pm

So I just started a new job doing video for a company. My weaknesses are graphic design and after effects but the first thing they want me to do is create a 3d looking virtual set for a series of videos. They want me to create 3 different options and they will choose one. They are thinking more of a 3d set almost like tosh.0 rather than just a good background. They also need a cool way for pictures/video and text to come on.

Here is a youtube video of 3 of my drafts so far, let me know which one you think looks the best or improvements you could suggest to any of these:

I would also love a template to buy option in case they want something more professional looking. Or a template with a tv screen or way for the video to appear in the corner more creative than just a square. Here is a video example my friend was in that i would like if i could find a similar template to this (either the background or the changing squares with video playing through them)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating 3d virtual set in AE needed.
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 6:38:28 pm

Did they specifically ask for Virtual Sets? When I think of virtual sets, I think of something that replaces desks, a room, a real-life location.

If they didn't, I think you're doing pretty well.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam BarefootRe: Creating 3d virtual set in AE needed.
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 6:52:37 pm

the middle example is pretty much what they did in photoshop so i added the logo with a glow and turned it into 3d space. I just feel like they are too plain? maybe need shadows or textures on the wall?

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Creating 3d virtual set in AE needed.
by on Aug 10, 2016 at 8:39:57 pm

Hi Adam

I think this depends on your client ie how long do you have to do the work -- if the answer is not long at all then something pretty basic has to do ----- however theres a lot lot more thats possible including a full 3D background to comp footage into --- or most probably I expect 'something in the middle' .....

.... without thinking it though too much heres a few possibilities......

1 ) have more thngs in 3D space even if they are 2d objects eg a floor to ceiling panel that takes images

2 ) have images in more than one place at once

3 ) confine footage animations to artworked screen areas

4 ) have a bigger screen / have more than one screen

5 ) have bolder graphics that are statics on walls / panels

6 ) artwork a bit more detail into background frames

7 ) use lights more

8 ) use 3d layers ( if not already ) and use lights

9 ) use logo as a screen

10 ) use a graphics device derived from logo / simply logo colours for transitions from one clip to another - even if its just a few coloured bars

11 ) more detail in flat areas / texture / lighting

12 ) if in cs6 or higher extrude vector shapes to make more detailed 3d environment

13 ) have footage wind on to next clip inside a boudaried screen area - sometimes simple things work better than you might think - eg sometimes just sliding the next clip down from the top or screen over outgoing works well - particularly to add pace...

14 ) drop back image in 3d space revealing other options / zoom back to another option

15 ) change images as seen in mobile phone technology / use similar graphics to make the point........

16 ) spin on axis to show image on other side

17 ) shoot presenter from side view to add variety

18 ) shoot closer / zoom into presenter if plenty of resolution............................................

......................and loads loads more................

--------------------------------chris ----

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved