ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any Way To Access My Other 16Gigs for Rendering?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Knoll
Any Way To Access My Other 16Gigs for Rendering?
on Aug 10, 2016 at 5:16:00 pm

I just upgraded my RAM to 32Gigs without realizing that Windows 7 Home has a 16Gig cap (and upgrading to Pro or Windows 8/10 is neither desired or an option for me). Windows sees all 32Gigs, but will only access 16. I've confirmed this in both Adobe Premier and After Effects, as the max utilization under the rendering options menu is 16Gigs.

Even though Windows 7 is capped, is there any possible way to get into that extra 16Gig pool just sitting and apply it to my rendering?

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: Any Way To Access My Other 16Gigs for Rendering?
on Aug 10, 2016 at 5:52:13 pm

Just a suggestion:
Perhaps use it as a RAM-disk. Google.
Some motherboard manufacturers supply free software for this. Check your motherboard manual or the CD.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 11, 2016 at 1:52:45 pm

One of the jobs of the OS is to manage RAM for applications like Ae. You'll need to upgrade Windows to remove that limit.

Some RAM disk applications, as Thomas notes, purport to use unmanaged RAM above the 16 GB limit. If that does work, you could put your disk cache on that RAM disk, though it would be pretty small...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Joseph Freeman III
on Aug 16, 2016 at 8:02:42 pm

I ran into the same problem last month, though my system was duel boot (win7 Home Edition& Win10 Professional).

I built a new PC with 32 GB of DDR4 RAM and had CS6 on my Win7 HE OS and could only access 16 GB in total. At that time I decided it was time to upgrade to Adobe CC 2015.3 on the Win10 Pro side of the system. I have not had one regret at all with Win10 Pro and CC 2015...Boot and render times are excellent and have had less software hang ups than under Win7 HE/CS6...

The Limiting factor is Windows 7 HE (Win 7 Pro does not have this limitation) and I found no work around, not even a RAM-Disk which uses part of the accessible RAM allowed by windows.

I hope this info helps.

Good Luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]