ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Making a logo appear our of water...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike HainesMaking a logo appear our of water...
by on Aug 8, 2016 at 3:37:54 am

could you give me some general guidance as how I might make a logo appear from a small pool on a beach?

I have just 2 layers, the footage of the beach pool and the logo.

I have played around with masks and can get he mask to mask the logo as it rises up the screen, buth but cant seem to figure out how to stop the mask masking the footage of the pool??

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Making a logo appear our of water...
by on Aug 8, 2016 at 7:14:30 am

For the most realistic effect you need to have your logo interact with the water somehow. I used Mettle's FreeForm Pro to create water and a logo coming out of it. You could use the same technique and then match the perspective of the real water footage and blend the CG water in with the real water. Here's an example (logo comes up from water at the end):

You do not need to buy the AquaPack or FreeForm Pro if you do not have the funds (and /or need the best results) - most likely FreeForm V2 would be enough. Create a water like depth map (use a b&w version of the water footage you already have) with the b&W logo fading up and you should be able to get a good effect.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Making a logo appear our of water...
by on Aug 8, 2016 at 7:25:06 pm

I've had very good luck using footage of real water, and then creating a Displacement Map, using the water footage for the map, to distort the logo:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: Making a logo appear our of water...
by on Aug 8, 2016 at 9:38:37 pm

the above tips are good.

do you need it to show reflection?

Return to posts index

Mike HainesRe: Making a logo appear our of water...
by on Aug 8, 2016 at 10:20:28 pm

Thanks team for the suggestions. I now realise that I didn't make the best job of explaining what I was after....

I was looking for a logo to just rise up out of footage of water in a vertical manner, with the water appearing to be lapping around its base.

I managed to achieve this with a mask and the liquify effect. The bit that I was missing was knowing how the mask could be applied ONLY to my logo and not the background footage. This was a simple option on the logo - to change the mode(?) from normal to an alpha matte. It worked a treat!

Once the production is complete I'll post a link to it here.

thanks again...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved