ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Linking many (thousands) objects to existing 3d models

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy HubrightLinking many (thousands) objects to existing 3d models
by on Aug 4, 2016 at 9:45:15 pm

Hey guys,

Long time reader first time poster. I can usually find the answer I'm looking for on here with thorough searching, but this seems to be quite an obtuse problem that is difficult to search...

So I will have multiple 3d objects of people in a crowd, created/baked in from cinema 4d, about 6-8k strong and I need to simulate LED lights attached to each of them. The only thing I need help with is a quick way to duplicate and then attach the "glowing dot" to each person in the crowd... each person will have it's own position data brought in I'm assuming, I've just never seen a good way to massively populate a crowd of things like that with a ton of the same object.

We are not attaching a light source to the object in C4d due to render times and having animation flexibility in AE so we can easily change color/intensity etc..

Of course, I could manually place each one and then assign parent, but obviously this is undesirable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Linking many (thousands) objects to existing 3d models
by on Aug 4, 2016 at 10:22:39 pm

You might give the Trapcode Lux plugin a look. But for anything you use in AE, I'd think the render time would be horrific.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Linking many (thousands) objects to existing 3d models
by on Aug 5, 2016 at 12:09:57 pm

Element 3D sounds like a good candidate here. I assume you have just a few different people models. If you bring in your people models individually to Element, you can attach a "light" to each using groups, then use Element to populate (a plane or what have you) with those particles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved