ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating a Mark from a Color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael WatersCreating a Mark from a Color
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 8:02:39 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to create a mask from a color in After Effects CS6. That's probably not what I should call it but I am unsure what the correct terminology would be. I have a layer that has an animation that consists of blue and white shapes (a hexagon and fox head in white, and a blue background). I would like to replace the blue in the animation with a textured layer I have. I can color key the blue out, but I don't know how to mask the textured layer to make it move with the animation. I have a YouTube link to the animation that is just plain blue and white. (

I am open to any and all suggestions and will manually mask everything if I have to (which is difficult because there is a camera shake involved), but I feel like there is a better way to do this.

Thank you for your time,

Return to posts index

Greg GeschRe: Creating a Mark from a Color
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 10:40:00 pm

Hi Mike. You can replace your blue layer(s) with the texture but keep the blue layers settings etc. by:
selecting your blue layer in the Comp Panel
select your texture in the Project Panel and, holding down the Alt key, drag it to over the selected blue layer.
Is that of any use?

Return to posts index

Michael WatersRe: Creating a Mark from a Color
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 10:59:29 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the quick reply, but the animation is not mine, so I don't have the blue and white on separate layers. However. I didn't know that you could replace textures like that so thank you for that tip.

Is there a way to separate the blue onto is own layer so I can try that texture replacement?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Creating a Mark from a Color
by on Aug 4, 2016 at 7:48:56 am

I would start with the frame just before the logo comes together from the six outside separate pieces. Place your texture at that point, then duplicate it so you have seven copies and mask them for the seven individual pieces. From there you can animate the outside pieces backwards so they follow the motion. You'll get a seamless result from the six pieces that way. You can then duplicate the texture layer one more time without a mask and switch to a single texture layer for the rest of the animation.

You can track the camera shake to a null and link the texture layer to the null, then scale the null to scale the texture at the end when it flies to the camera.

You can duplicate the original animation and pull white parts out with channel mixer (using the blue channel) so that you have a black and white image where blue is black and white is white and compose that on top of the texture layers in lighten mode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved