ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing BTC (Time Code) from archival interview

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan McGuire
Removing BTC (Time Code) from archival interview
on Aug 3, 2016 at 12:05:24 pm

I used to back up MiniDV files to VHS with BTC for logging purposes. I've lost an original tape and the VHS is all I have. I have a 20 second clip and I would love to use it and wonder if there is away to mask or remove - perhaps with photoshop - the BTC. The BTC is on the character's face at times, which prevents me from simply pushing in.

It's probably a job for ILM, but I wonder if anyone has suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Removing BTC (Time Code) from archival interview
on Aug 3, 2016 at 1:55:16 pm

Ugh. Not really. Your plan to use Photoshop on a frame by frame basis is probably the best idea.

I hope there aren't too many frames, the shot isn't too noisy (good luck with that!) and it was originally shot progressive. If it's interlaced you may have to double the frame rate for the repairs.

This is like moving a hill using a teaspoon. Best of luck; I don't envy you one bit.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on Aug 3, 2016 at 2:31:03 pm

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking of rotoscoping the talking head out of the background, putting in a clean background, then I would only have to touch up the frames where BTC intruded on to the head.

Yes, a nightmare.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 3, 2016 at 4:15:33 pm

Roto work sounds like a good plan. I'd be worried about the noise created by the VHS recording. That'll be a big headache to my way of thinking. It's a shame you absolutely must use the video.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]