ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to extract part of a video.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John ChalmersHow to extract part of a video.
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 5:04:28 am

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is the correct part of the forum...

I am trying to figure out how to extract part of a video / gif.

Would i be able to used Adobe After effects to pull say the fire from the gun discharges in the images below ?

I am trying to extract the fire effects for a video production and i am not sure where to start.

If anyone can advise me that would be awesome.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: How to extract part of a video.
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 7:11:25 am

It is called "keying" where the object (or the background) is mostly of one color and can thus be separated based on color values. In After Effects there are several keying effects, the most powerful of which is Keylight. You select the color you want to isolate. Usually the selected color is the one that becomes transparent, but you want the reverse of that.

There is an additional step in isolating the fire from that footage which is that the origin point moves. You would have to track the end of the cannon and stabilize the shot around that point so that the fire doesn't move around.

So look up Keylight and keying as well as tracking and stabilizing and you'll soon know how to go about it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to extract part of a video.
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 2:01:58 pm

OR -- you can just get some alpha-channeled muzzle flashes and use them. You may find some freebies that work or you may have to buy them, but they're out there.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved