ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rubik's cube animation : display bug

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura MaugeroRubik's cube animation : display bug
by on Aug 2, 2016 at 9:46:03 am

Hi all,

I try to animate a rubik's cube. I made each cube with shapes.
All is aligned but when I move the camera or when I rotate cubes, I have this kind of display bug :

I supposed that the problem was caused by the double side of each layer of my cubes. So, I tryed the code of Dan Ebberts on each face :

if (toCompVec([0, 0, 1])[2] > 0 ) value else 0

But with the camera and the rotations, there are bugs too. Some faces are or become invisible (on the outside face) when I rotate my cubes.

Maybe I don't use the best way to do my animation.

Do you have any idea ?

Thank you in advance.

PS : Sorry for my English, I'm not an English native speaker. ;-)

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Rubik's cube animation : display bug
by on Aug 2, 2016 at 5:08:37 pm

Regarding your first screenshot, perhaps you have some faces improperly aligned. Are you sure everything is centered?

On the second, I think you only need to rotate the invisible faces 180 degrees on the X or Y axis.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Laura MaugeriRe: Rubik's cube animation : display bug
by on Aug 2, 2016 at 7:17:19 pm

[Cassius Marques] "Regarding your first screenshot, perhaps you have some faces improperly aligned. Are you sure everything is centered?

On the second, I think you only need to rotate the invisible faces 180 degrees on the X or Y axis.
"

1) I'm sure all is alligned. I used only exact values to place my faces and the bug appears and disappears depending on the camera's angle.
When I use Dan Ebberts's code, this problem seems resolved.

2) Yes but the problem is that the faces are not just invisible (too easy :p), some of them becomes invisible when I rotate the camera like this :

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2016 at 5:55:37 pm

Are the faces EVER visible and turn invisible when you're seeing them from the same side?

I know the faces become invisible when you rotate the camera, thats what the expression you applied to opacity is set to do (set opacity to 0 when seen from behind).

The problem is that the faces that should be visible and aren't, are just probably misoriented or its a problem with multiple composition's nesting. If the latter is the case, I'm not sure you can solve it.

If you are able to share the project or some extent of it I can take a look.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2016 at 6:58:57 pm

[Cassius Marques] "Are the faces EVER visible and turn invisible when you're seeing them from the same side?

I know the faces become invisible when you rotate the camera, thats what the expression you applied to opacity is set to do (set opacity to 0 when seen from behind).

The problem is that the faces that should be visible and aren't, are just probably misoriented or its a problem with multiple composition's nesting. If the latter is the case, I'm not sure you can solve it.

If you are able to share the project or some extent of it I can take a look."

From the same side, I think the faces don't turn in the other state.

There aren't multiple compositions nesting.

Here is the project : 10373_rubikscube.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Aug 4, 2016 at 1:12:29 pm

Well, you have everything positioned right but unfortunately you've reached a point in which AE creates those bugs because you have a lot of 3d layers stacked in the same composition.

You have to keep in mind that After Effects is a compositing application and not a 3D one. You should consider going for other easier options.

With that said you still may be able to solve the rendering problems (to some extent) if you keep hiding the faces that should not be seen (like you're trying to do with that expression). So lets go at that again! Open the same project you sent and select your layer #86. You will be able to see that the face is invisible to your camera while it should not be. Rotate it 180ยบ in the Y axis. Now do you see it? You should, because It now has its "normals" properly aligned, making the expression work as its supposed to.

The bad news is that you'll have a really hard time changing this to every "reversed" layer, since you already changed their anchor point's positions.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2016 at 12:23:25 pm

Ok, it took time but I finally reverse all the layers concerned and it's ok !

Thanks to all for your help ! :-)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Rubik's cube animation : display bug
by on Aug 2, 2016 at 7:11:08 pm

Might be easier to use the RubicCube script.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2016 at 7:24:10 pm

[John Cuevas] "Might be easier to use the RubicCube script."

Yes, I know but I would like do the animation by myself. :-) Also, the animation works, I just have display bugs.
But thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Rubik's cube animation : display bug
by on Aug 3, 2016 at 1:13:50 pm

Could you post a screenshot of your entire workspace window?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2016 at 1:33:07 pm

[Daniel Waldron] "Could you post a screenshot of your entire workspace window?"

Sure, here you are : screen.jpg

For each little cube, there is a "parent face". So, 5 faces are childs of a principal face. The anchor points of these parents faces are placed in the center of the global rubik's cube. Then, I animate all the parents faces with rotations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]