ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best way to do a cloaking effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Carver
Best way to do a cloaking effect?
on Aug 2, 2016 at 5:17:40 am

What's the best way to create this cloaking effect in AE?

I'm thinking the electricity can be done with paths and the saber plugin after tweaking it, but what about the invisibility effect? I've seen some random tutorials on YouTube but none quite as smooth and clean is this one.

Any ideas on the best way to do this effect?

iMac 27" Late 2013
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best way to do a cloaking effect?
on Aug 2, 2016 at 4:11:21 pm

I'm gonna go waaaaaay out on a limb and say that After Effects was never, EVER used in any part of this effects shot.

So what was? No clue.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Peter Diefenthaler
on Aug 2, 2016 at 7:18:44 pm

Firstly, the subjects need to be separate from the background, so you would need a clean background plate and the subjects should be shot in front of a green screen or rotoscoped. To create the transparent cloaked effect, you would need to roto a depth map over the subject, similar to how they do 3D conversions, and use that as input for the displacement effect. I could see the underlying energy effect being created with fractal noise and vector blur, then being displaced and masked using the depth map. That's how I would initially approach the shot.

Peter Diefenthaler
http://www.ideafirecreative.com/

Return to posts index

James Carver
on Aug 3, 2016 at 5:21:53 am

Thanks Peter, that's what i was thinking initially as well but wasn't sure on the transition part. I've actually used cc glass to get the invisibility effect to match, but trying to figure out the best way to transition the invisible layer back to visible.

top layer - 3d object
bottom layer - background plate with cc glass applied and using top layer as bump map to get displacement effect

Any ideas on how I'd use the fractal noise as a transition?

iMac 27" Late 2013
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]