ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

correct codec for IOS and desktop apps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jules Watkins
correct codec for IOS and desktop apps
on Aug 1, 2016 at 7:41:01 pm

Having a freelance who is using After FX CC on windows

Making short Motion GFX files with transparent backgrounds - eg an arrow flies into screen pauses
The aim is to layer over videos in programs like FCPX, ScreenFlow, Premiere, Camtasia (pc and mac), imovie (ios)

It works ok from my desktop tests (FCPx/ screenflow) but with ios when i import to imovie the file isn't accepted

I had another freelance on a mac do pro res codec files that did work on ios and desktop

so the q - can this windows based freelance provide me with one suitable file for all devices and if so what codec to use or how to make it compatible?

thanks

J

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: correct codec for IOS and desktop apps
on Aug 1, 2016 at 9:56:44 pm

When you put things like "transparent background" and "universally readable" together, you get something else: "big file size".

I recommend Quicktime movies in Animation codec. It's lossless, it supports alpha channels, and pretty much every computer on the planet with Quicktime can read them.

Yes, the file sizes are large, but you're asking for a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 2, 2016 at 12:13:15 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I recommend Quicktime movies in Animation codec. It's lossless, it supports alpha channels, and pretty much every computer on the planet with Quicktime can read them. "

But probably not iMovie on iOS. ProRes 4444 is the only format that supports transparency that is natively supported by the AVFoundation framework used on iOS and macOS.

A PC can deliver ProRes via unsupported methods like the ffmpeg encoder, or via licensed implementations like Assimilate SCRATCH.

However, if you got a QuickTime Animation-codec render from your PC-using colleague, you could transcode it yourself to ProRes 4444.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 2, 2016 at 2:17:13 am

Understood about ProRes 4444. However, not every computer on the planet reads it. Given the constraints, I stand by Quicktime Animation. It's not my first choice either, but it is the lowest common denominator.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]