ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Unwrapped sphere style animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Johnson
Unwrapped sphere style animation
on Jul 31, 2016 at 8:56:52 am

I've recently come across this gif which is quite interesting, I am wondering how/if it could be created in after effects? It seems like it makes use of some polar coordinate style effect but am not sure how to do it, any help appreciated!

10355_spiralgif.gif.zip

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Unwrapped sphere style animation
on Jul 31, 2016 at 3:16:27 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 31, 2016 at 3:19:26 pm

You could achieve something similar along these lines. First three steps don't require AE and you might just want to make an illustrator document that has one half of it and flip it for the other side. Add rotation, mesh warp and twirl in AE. The two halves need to rotate mirrored (one clockwise, the other counter-clockwise). This is a photoshop quick concept, it would look better with a larger twirl radius.

Return to posts index

Don Johnson
on Aug 1, 2016 at 5:27:48 am

Thanks Kalle, an interesting approach. I was hoping however that I could implement it on a non graphic image, any ideas there? In my mind it is sort of like a sphere with an image projected upon it, that has been unwrapped so that the two poles are next to one another rather than above/below.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 1, 2016 at 6:32:21 am

You might need something like Mettle Skybox for proper conversions. What kind of an image do you have as a starting point?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]