ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How would I achieve this effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan BobHow would I achieve this effect?
by on Jul 28, 2016 at 9:22:58 pm

I'm looking to re-create the effect as seen at 1:10 in this video below.

Any help would be appreciated, especially the part where each individual smile falls down differently. Also, when each smile appears, I thought at first it was just a scale in, but it looks like it has a different effect to it.

Return to posts index

Cole BoscaljonRe: How would I achieve this effect?
by on Jul 28, 2016 at 9:57:05 pm

My guess is that the some of the faces are inside of a pre-composition. Then the CC Reptile effect is applied to the pre-composition while the collapse transformation is on.

As for the "bounce" effect:
You'll need to apply an expression to the scale property of the layer. (Alt + Left Click the scale stopwatch)
Then paste this expression, that was created by Dan Ebberts, into the expression field:

freq = 3;
decay = 5;

n = 0;
if (numKeys > 0){
n = nearestKey(time).index;
if (key(n).time > time) n--;
if (n > 0){
t = time - key(n).time;
amp = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - .001);
w = freq*Math.PI*2;
value + amp*(Math.sin(t*w)/Math.exp(decay*t)/w);

You can find more information here:
You can also find out more incredible tutorials here too:

Return to posts index

Ryan BobRe: How would I achieve this effect?
by on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:03:30 pm

When all the faces fall down, is that the collapse transformation effect?

Return to posts index

Greg C NeumayerRe: How would I achieve this effect?
by on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:16:28 pm

No. Collapse transforms is a totally different thing, and shouldn't be thought of as an effect.

When they fall down, it's probably just a keyframed animation changing the y position of the smiley face. If you find yourself keyframing every face's move, you're going about this the less-efficient way. Each face probably is the exact same comp* popping on screen, staying there for 3 seconds, then sliding down and off. If they pop on at different times, they'll naturally also do their downward movement at different times as well. You don't need to animate each one.

* Make one face animating the way you want it, then just duplicate it and replace the expression.

(You may not have a bunch of add-ons at your disposal, but just so you see other workflows: if I were creating this, I would also try using a script or particle generator to randomize their location on screen so I wouldn't have to manually place them all.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved