ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Renderfarm?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom SeguraAE Renderfarm?
by on Jul 28, 2016 at 6:50:16 pm

Good evening everybody,

I'm handling a pretty complex project in AE. Right now for about 20 seconds of output it takes about 9 hours to render and I must render about 2 hours of footages.

I have two macs, a quad core iMac 4ghz and a MacPro 12core 2.7ghz. Both with 32GB ram and I ended up to use the iMac because it renders much faster without using multiprocessing (which is by the way disabled in the latest version of AE). And even with multiprocessing the render time per frame was anyway slower on the 12core.

So.. my question is. Do you know guys if there's any way to add extra external CPU and use them as a render farm for AE? At first i thought togged some mac mini ad use them as a render farm. But I'm not expert at all in this field an probably it's a bad idea.

Do you have ANY suggestion? Thanks in advance and congrats for this great forum.

PS: The project is well built... the time required to render is not the result of absurd use of effects or infinite nested comps etc.. the time required is normal because of the resolution and the amount of post/VFX...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE Renderfarm?
by on Jul 28, 2016 at 7:52:45 pm

Ae CC 2014 has support for naive network rendering:

I've written extensively about Ae's network rendering here in this forum -- a quick search should turn up my notes.

I'd suggest you look into a proper render manager like Deadline or Tractor. I'd also suggest that Mac Minis are probably very inefficient in terms of cost/performance.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tom SeguraRe: AE Renderfarm?
by on Jul 29, 2016 at 8:23:11 am

Thank you very much for the quick reply Walter,

I found your articles/notes. I'll read them soon and eventually, if you're available, get back to you if something is not clear to me.
Talk soon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved