ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Duik Character Animation - Change IK End Point Stopwatch?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff HawthorneDuik Character Animation - Change IK End Point Stopwatch?
by on Jul 27, 2016 at 3:47:22 pm

Hi all! I'm a newbie animating cartoons in AE, and rigged simple Duik IK controllers into my character's arms, legs, and torso.

I'm trying to make him do a simple palms-up shrug - arms start from hanging at his sides, then rotate out, elbows down, palms up, making him look like a W.

As you can see, the elbow rotation point is off for this kind of motion. (I haven't adjusted the hand yet either, obviously. :) I worked out that I can click the stopwatch for Clockwise rotation on the arm's Duik controller, and it looks natural enough...right as his arm starts to raise backward, the elbow breaks and rotates the other way.

But then as it raises higher, the whole lower arm and hand move up to a weird spot.

I tried clicking the lower arm, and clicking the stopwatch on IK End Point. Then I used the Pan Behind tool to move that point so the arm changes to a natural position:

But when I move back on the timeline, it's changed the IK End Point for the entire movement, not just the point after I clicked the stopwatch:

Is this just a limitation of Duik? Is there any way to rotate the lower arm freely after moving it with a Duik controller?

I'm prepared to do this whole scene without Duik, I can always have multiple builds of the same character for different purposes...I'd just like to know if there's a simpler solution before I do the extra work. :) Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved