ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Seeking advice on adding simple animations to still photograph (as a movie clip)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Woods
Seeking advice on adding simple animations to still photograph (as a movie clip)
on Jul 26, 2016 at 1:51:33 am

For my little brother's wedding, i'm putting together a photo montage to music (mix of Ken Burns pans w/ video clips interspersed). In one of his childhood pictures, he has a wicked bowl haircut. I'd love to make a short clip (2-3s) from that picture, overlaying a simple animation of a bowl lifting off his head, leaving his pristine haircut. When i searched for examples to better describe this, I came across this one, which is similar (close enough) to what i was thinking:

Youtube Search: "Bowl Haircut Test Animation" by DAZ Hands Animation

I am hoping someone will kindly give me some advice of the tools and/or names or descriptions of the techniques I would need to do this.

In another picture, my brother is holding two balloon in an awkward southerly place (unintentionally). I thought it would be funny to pop the balloons in the pic and change his facial expression at the same time. If I could manage to get the first effect done, I'd like to do this one as well.

Computer developer as a day job (customizing Adobe AEM), in the evenings, I love working with sounds and images, and I am fairly proficient with Adobe Photoshop CS4/CC, have barely used After Effects CS4 and fairly novice still with Adobe Premier Pro CS4. I'm happy to explore other tools if they are recommended, I took a guess that this would be the forum to post my request, and apologize if i've posted in the wrong forum.

Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice you are willing to give!

Shawn Woods (shawn.p.woods@gmail.com)

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Seeking advice on adding simple animations to still photograph (as a movie clip)
on Jul 26, 2016 at 1:18:21 pm

You're looking to use keyframes to move a image of a bowl of his head. Place your bowl layer on your brother's head, select the layer and press the "p" key to reveal the layer's position. Set a keyframe, move forward a few seconds and drag the bowl layer up off your brother's head. Voila, you've just animated the bowl!

For a more detailed look, try this video.

Return to posts index

Shawn Woods
Re: Seeking advice on adding simple animations to still photograph (as a movie clip)
on Jul 27, 2016 at 5:54:15 pm

Thank you Daniel for a quick and clear response! After reading your post, I explored the tutorial video you linked and those around it, and I'm super excited to give this a try! Thanks again for taking the time, much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jul 27, 2016 at 6:14:08 pm

No problem! Hope it works out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]