ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mask Path controls/ Weird behavior

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ged JurgaMask Path controls/ Weird behavior
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 9:47:46 am

I've recently finally made the transition to AE CC 2015, from CS6. I always hated the new updates, weird mask behaviour and a dissapearance of the ram preview button. The project i am working on is supposed to be comped in Nuke, but i just never could get used to Nuke shortcuts and how slow the workflow with masks there is. I would just do all the roto matte work in AE and transfer alpha mattes to Nuke.

Currently i have a a project that is very heavy on roto work, and i just always loved how masks are controlled in AE (in CS6). Now in CC there is a very weird behavior with drawing a mask path on the layer.

Before i could just quickly outline an object by drawing a bezier mask path with fast clicks+drag around the object, and refining it later with Alt+click for bezier edit and Ctrl+click on point for position.
Now in CC when quickly click+hold and drag a point it would be a purely 50% of chance that not the Bezier point curve will be created, but the ACTUAL POINT will be moved instead, until i unclick. Moreover, if i Alt+click on point or CTRL+click on point, there is completely no difference, but again a 50% of chance that it will let me to either to edit the bezier curve, or drag the actual point. How the hell do i bring back the old controls for mask path points, because it was never like that in AE, and it just slows down the process for a matter of hours.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Mask Path controls/ Weird behavior
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 4:48:58 pm

Do you still have CS6 Installed? Use it. Get the gig done.

CC 2015 can be very prickly about things. Certain certain version numbers and OS versions work better together. You'd have to share that info before people could help.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Mask Path controls/ Weird behavior
by on Jul 22, 2016 at 4:40:56 pm

From the behavior you're describing, it sounds like you have the Rotobezier button checked on the toolbar.

Jason Jantzen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved