ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replacing Illustrator CS6 files in AE CC 2015

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Rondinone
Replacing Illustrator CS6 files in AE CC 2015
on Jul 19, 2016 at 8:21:55 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this so I appreciate the help!

I have an AE CS6 project file which contained Illustrator CS6 files. I changed computers and also went from CS6 to CC 2015.
I just opened the AF Project in CC 2015 and went to replace the Illustrator footage and it wont import after I locate the files. I just get the spinning wheel forever. Does it just take incredibly long? I have 250 files missing.
Would this possibly be fixed if I went back to using Illustrator CS6 instead of cc 2015? Or is it an after effects cc 2015 problem? Or is it because the files are cs6? any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Replacing Illustrator CS6 files in AE CC 2015
on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:12:05 pm

None of what you're describing should be a problem.

Maybe there's a problem with a specific file? Can you import them from scratch into a new project, or does that fail, too?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Anthony Rondinone
on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:23:57 pm

I agree, that's what I don't understand.
I can import them into a new project, I can even import them into the same project. The problem I'm having is "replace footage" to find the files since they are in a new location. I just get the spinning wheel for ever when i try to replace footage after I find it in the new location. Is it possible that it just takes that long to replace all 250 files? I let it spin for over a half hour hoping it was just taking a long time.
I had to do the same thing with some photoshop file and those replaced just fine. It's just the Illustrator files.
Is it possible something is wrong with illustrator?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:42:55 pm

Ae has its own Illustrator importer; it doesn't actually rely on your installed copy of Illustrator for anything.

Maybe it's a specific file that's giving you trouble relinking? I'd suggest pulling files out of that directory structure (so Ae cannot see them when it attempts to relink). If Ae hangs again when you import, pull a few more out. If it succeeds, put a few back in. Do this until you isolate the issue.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Anthony Rondinone
on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:52:48 pm

How do I pull certain files out of a directory structure? Sorry that's new to me.
What I'm doing right now is opening up one of the folders with the illustrator files in the project window, going to replace footage, and locating the file. I have tried doing it with other files in case it's just that one and still no luck.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:55:00 pm

When you try to connect one file, Ae will automatically connect other missing files in the same relative path.

I'm suggesting you move the other files out of their containing folder in Finder or Explorer (i.e. to your Desktop), then try to reconnect.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Anthony Rondinone
on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:58:41 pm

Ahhh I see! Genius!
I'll try that tonight. Maybe I'll take all of them out except one and see if it works, then slowly add more back into the folder if they start working so I can see if there is a problem file.
Thank you so much for the advise!

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
Re: Replacing Illustrator CS6 files in AE CC 2015 - slow incorporating new footage
on Jul 28, 2016 at 9:46:52 pm

Did this process reveal anything for you? I've been having this problem for months as well.
One thing you can do is try to make sure you have your "info" window open in AE when it relinks. This will at least tell you what it's thinking.

Here's my very similar problem:
-- I have an Illustrator file with 70 layers. I've changed the overall dimensions of the AI file.
-- When I go back over to AE, it's "checking for changed footage" and "incorporating changed footage" one painfully slow layer at a time. This isn't overly complex artwork and each layer check takes about 5-10 seconds. That's 23 minutes to update! Something's very wrong, but my artwork is just AI vector art. This happens on multiple projects. The biggest problem is that I have a hard time getting out of the spinning beach ball cycle. It would be faster just for me to close the project and re-open, but I can't escape the auto-update check.

Is there:
-- A way to disable auto-checks of footage?
-- A known issue?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]