ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Music Video? Something special!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chaernon AdrianMusic Video? Something special!
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 7:43:52 pm

Hey everyone. I`m an aspiring musician and after months of working on my tracks it`s time to make the videos.

Here`s the problem: Putting all of my money towards audio gear, all I have for video is a a bridge camera that BARELY shoots 720p, but takes really good pictures, so then I thought I should use the Parallax effect and like add artificial camera movement and zooming since the pictures are 4608 x 3456.

Now, the song is an electronic type song and the tempo of the song is quite fast, Parallax MIGHT look boring, the second problem is that I need to do compiling and add things like A PIANO, and I don`t know if I could achieve this, without it looking fake.

Now I`m thinking since it`s a picture I dont need to track the video, I just need to make sure the piano looks as real as possible, I`m thinking about me staying with my back pointed at the camera, and the piano in front of me and then from the my and the piano side, so the video is not boring.

What are the best ways to do this?
Is this even possible without looking even a little fake?
Will I need third party plugins for After Effects?
What about the piano? Can I make like a 3D model of a piano and then "take" pictures of it in the position I want it?

I can throw pretty much everything at my workstation, I`ve got 32 gigs of ram Intel Xeon E5 and a Nvidia Titan X so at least on this I`m set.

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the long read.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Music Video? Something special!
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 7:59:54 pm

You can use Element 3d to place a 3d piano however you want it. It should work quite nicely with your GPU.

That being said, do you have a smartphone? There are lots of examples of people doing some pretty nice cinematography with iPhone cameras.

Could we hear an example of your music? It might help us come up with some better ideas for you.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chaernon AdrianRe: Music Video? Something special!
by on Jul 19, 2016 at 8:27:42 pm

Hope Soundcloud is allowed here. That`s the only place I can upload wav. It`s just the song so you get an idea, this should be the prechorus and chorus, the main vocals are not there because I`m still processing them, but there`s still my backing choir at the chorus so you can get an idea of what it should be like, kind of.

I was thinking about bringing the piano in flames, and the flames could start really small and extend as the song goes on, but me, I wouldn`t be on fire, I would be somehow protected you know? Like some kind of "emotional" shield, or if that would be too hard to do, be on fire like the piano but I would not feel the burn, I would just keep singing and I would slowly burn until the fire is everywhere and somehow stop the video there.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2016 at 8:33:58 pm

Sorry for posting again, but I don`t see the option to edit my post and I forgot to tell you I don`t have an iPhone, just a budget phone with a 5mpx camera that shoots 1080p but does so at an incredibly low quality, and to be honest the bridge shoots WAY better in 720p than the phone does, so my only option is still the Parallax effect and the only way to keep the viewers would be to change the camera angle all the time and zoom in and out and as I said add the fire effect and maybe something else to make it more interactive.

If you guys have any idea, it would greatly help me.

Return to posts index

Tony LengyelRe: Music Video? Something special!
by on Jul 20, 2016 at 9:46:21 pm

I love piano and that was a nice clip sir.

I would try something like another suggested an Element 3D or C4D model of a piano or even key strokes animating. Then from there composting flames is a pretty simple task, you could even do a Trapcode particular and link them to your song tempo as the flames rise and lower to your beat. You don't need video if you cannot get it right now... even some Typography that moves with cameras to lyrics such...

Most creative ideas spawn from other's creativity just watch as many videos as you can with what you're looking for. Then research it from there step by step if you already don't know how to recreate what you want or need.

The possibilities are endless... After Effects can only push it so far as other tools take it out the park like Cinema 4D I mentioned. The Ae comes in and polishes and finishes it to stardom.

Good luck and keep playing good stuff.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2016 at 7:53:48 pm

Thank you! I`ve worked with Cinema4D before, but it was only experimental, forgot everything about it, but it`s never too late to learn how to use it again. It would be great to model a piano and use it in a picture with the Parallax effect.

There`s also the background which I have to take care of and maybe some fake lights positioned inside the picture to make it even more like a video. I`ll be taking some pictures next to a green screen in the upcoming days and give it a try, like a test for about 10-15 seconds and see what I can create.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved