ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Intel Core i7-5930K or Xeon(with similar price range) for best rendering/3D modeling in After Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dalibor PekovicIntel Core i7-5930K or Xeon(with similar price range) for best rendering/3D modeling in After Effect
by on Jul 15, 2016 at 6:38:43 pm

Ok so plan is simple I got some money and wont to buye new workstation for me but now I don't really know what is better for my case. Asus x99 Delux, with i7-5820k (and (Nvidia GTX 980* x2) with 64giga dd4 ram was plan on start but friend sad to me that Xeon processor will be better for me because of more cores. So now I am confused I search net for recommend configuration for After Effects but I can't find solid answer so please help me I need to know what is better in my case this i7 CPU or Xeon CPU(with similar price range)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Intel Core i7-5930K or Xeon(with similar price range) for best rendering/3D modeling in After Effect
by on Jul 15, 2016 at 8:41:08 pm

After Effects, in its current state, doesn't make use of a bunch of cores. Higher clock speed will serve you better. That being said, if you plan to use Cinema 4D (a version of which comes free with AE), you might consider getting a bit more horsepower. That being said, unless you're getting two Xeons, in general one i7 is better than one Xeon.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dalibor PekovicRe: Intel Core i7-5930K or Xeon(with similar price range) for best rendering/3D modeling in After Effect
by on Jul 15, 2016 at 8:44:29 pm

ty for clearing that .... i know that Multi Core Performance is removed from cc 2015 version but if I use AF cc 2014 version where Multi Core Performance is enabled is then better to buye Xeon ...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Intel Core i7-5930K or Xeon(with similar price range) for best rendering/3D modeling in After Effect
by on Jul 15, 2016 at 8:55:25 pm

Depends on which Xeon you're looking at. In general, unless you're getting two, it isn't better. Look at the clock speed multiplied by the number of cores and see if there's much difference.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dalibor PekovicRe: Intel Core i7-5930K or Xeon(with similar price range) for best rendering/3D modeling in After Effect
by on Jul 15, 2016 at 9:24:21 pm

ty for quick answer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Intel Core i7-5930K or Xeon(with similar price range) for best rendering/3D modeling in After Effect
by on Jul 15, 2016 at 9:15:54 pm

[Dalibor Pekovic] "i know that Multi Core Performance is removed from cc 2015 version but if I use AF cc 2014 version where Multi Core Performance is enabled is then better to buye Xeon ..."

That's not exactly accurate. The "Render multiple frames simultaneously" feature, also known in Ae as "multiprocessing," is not in Ae CC 2015, but it's not accurate to say that Ae CC 2015 doesn't use multiple cores. Many effects are multithreaded, some pervasively. For example, you can max out a big multicore CPU system with Camera Lens Blur on Ae CC 2015 even though it has no multiprocessing.

IMHO, there are two reasons to buy a Xeon over an i7 for Ae work:

1) As Szalam said, you intend to get two CPUs.
2) You intend to get buckets of RAM, beyond what i7/mobo tend to support.

Also, note that if you do get a dual-socket Xeon, you'll NEED a ton of RAM to make use of all those cores with Ae CC 2014 and multiprocessing.

The i7-6950X looks pretty tempting.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]