ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Roughen Edges alternative effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin ParsonsRoughen Edges alternative effect?
by on Jul 14, 2016 at 8:58:55 pm

I have a bunch of 3D layers that I've applied the Roughen Edges effect to parented to a moving null and just realized that the roughen edges effect is not static during movement (the edge looks like it's crawling/evolving). I know I can precomp the layers to prevent this but that's going to add a lot of extra steps.

I tried applying the:
transform.position*400/effect("Roughen Edges")("Scale")expression on the Roughen Edge's Offset (transform) property to essentially "freeze" the offset but this is not working for me. Not sure if it's because the layers are 3D or what. Just seems like terrible programing to me... if I wanted the edges to move I'd play with the Evolution, otherwise this aspect of the effect just adds unnecessary complications.

Is there any Roughen Edges alternative that will remain static even if the layer it's applied to is moving?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Roughen Edges alternative effect?
by on Jul 14, 2016 at 11:31:49 pm

I assume that the layers have 'continuously rasterize' enabled or they are text layers (text layers have that option always enabled)...

since your layers are parented, you probably just need to use the parent's position in the expression:

parent.position * 400 / effect("Roughen Edges")("Scale")

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved