ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to stop stroke doing this when at an angle?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan GibbsHow to stop stroke doing this when at an angle?
by on Jul 13, 2016 at 2:08:08 pm

Hello!

I don't actually know the name for it, but I've attached an image of what I mean.

I was just wondering if there were an option to make the stroke go around the corner all at once when using a trim paths? At the moment half the stroke starts to go around the corner while the rest of it just "waits"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been bugging me ever since I started after effects I'd just never tried to find a way to fix it.

(Screenshot Example: https://f1.creativecow.net/10293/after-effects-stroke-example?uploaded=file...

Cheers!
- Ryan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to stop stroke doing this when at an angle?
by on Jul 13, 2016 at 3:26:51 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 13, 2016 at 5:37:10 pm

What are we looking at in this image? Is that the real size? Is this a screen shot of AE zoomed up to to 1600% or something?

If it's the real size, you'll want to use something other than animating a stroke.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan GibbsRe: How to stop stroke doing this when at an angle?
by on Jul 14, 2016 at 1:40:28 pm

It's zoomed in slightly, I have recreated a font with a path, and am using a stroke/trim paths to have the text sort of "write" itself on. However at each corner it has that horrible looking cut that only smooths out when using motion blur, but for this project I feel it looks better without motion blur.

I'll give the offset a go, but I don't know if that will mess with my pre-existing animation.

Cheers for the response!

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: How to stop stroke doing this when at an angle?
by on Jul 14, 2016 at 1:56:20 pm

you can control how stroke behaves in the cuts. bevel,meter,round etc.

Return to posts index

Ryan GibbsRe: How to stop stroke doing this when at an angle?
by on Jul 14, 2016 at 3:17:18 pm

Yeah, tinkering with that helps a bit, but to be honest I may just try a different method of tracing the letters.

Any tips?

I've tried converting text to masks and animating it, but then you run into problems with C's and O's etc. I've also tried using stroke but it's very temperamental and not the easiest thing to control... I've resorted to just using the pen tool to try and get it as accurate as possible and using trim paths, which works for the main part but is extremely time consuming, and causes a lot of problems with some fonts that have different stroke widths, and/or disproportionate counters.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: How to stop stroke doing this when at an angle?
by on Jul 13, 2016 at 11:35:43 pm

that's exactly what it's doing - trimming the path. what you want is the offset. before that you should set the start and end point to your needs and then use the offset parameter. shapes in Ae are not that intuitive. and fiddling with the parameter in the not so comfortable timeline can be complected. I'd suggest you do a reading of all the parameters so you will know exactly what you are doing.
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/shape-attributes-paint-operatio...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]