ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Randomise dots, animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Cadwallader
Randomise dots, animation
on Jul 11, 2016 at 9:19:35 am

Looking for some suggestions on the best way to animate the following (attached file)

I'd like all the dots to come from the top of the hour glass, into the bottom. So a fairly randomised transition. My plan was to mask the shape of the hour glass over the top but I cant find anyway to transition these, other than the obvious individual route.

If there's a quicker way to do this, that would be great. The illustration was an eps. file which I've converted into shapes. So they are all sat on one shape layer, each dot a different group in the contents.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Randomise dots, animation
on Jul 11, 2016 at 3:18:20 pm

You could do a dynamics simulation with Newton:
http://www.motionboutique.com/newton/

You could also animate the dots fall straight down, then use a Bezeier distort effect to pinch in the center -- but this will also change the shape of the dots as they move through the neck of the hourglass where the distortion is the most severe.

Any other "easy" solution I can think of is actually probably more time-consuming than just animating it by hand. If you do animate by hand, I think you're best off to put the dots on separate layers and use Separate dimensions [link] to make the animation more straightforward

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jul 11, 2016 at 7:17:54 pm

You could make some expressions that force a dot to travel through the neck, i.e. force the x value to be in a specific place when y value is close to the y-value of the neck location. Then duplicate the dot a whole bunch of times.

Not quite picturing how you expect the dots to behave in the lower half of the hour glass. Usually they fall straight down to a conical pile.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 11, 2016 at 7:54:58 pm

[Kalle Kannisto] "You could make some expressions that force a dot to travel through the neck, i.e. force the x value to be in a specific place when y value is close to the y-value of the neck location."

You'd need a function that describes the curve of the glass. Otherwise, you'll end up with little dead zones where particles couldn't be.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]